TKD 4CP-601 & 4CP-2500 4-gang volume pot and PCB GB

mwl168

4 hours ago, chiguy said:

Just added myself to the list and sent you payment.  Thanks!

Received. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Arthrimus said:

Payment sent.

Received. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Laowei said:

Sorry, decided to back out at this time. 

I removed my order for one 10K pot from the list. 

Noted and no problem!

8 hours ago, UFN said:

Did you ask TKD about the shaft length? The 2511 data sheet actually says "Special order of the shaft length is possible. Please contact us for details." but of course no indication of what's required ^_^

//UFN

Not yet; there's been quite a lot of PM discussions on details and custom values that I need to ask TKD, and I though I'd put them in one e-mail rather than shooting a barrage of questions.

Since you found that they do can special length shafts, could you tell me a little more detail about what would you like to see extended (given that we meet their minimum quantity requirement for this) ?

Would you only like the threaded part extended so you actually can fit a nut on the other side of a 10 mm front panel, or do you also want the shaft extended (and if so by how much),  or would you rather see both extended (and if so, by how much for each part)?

For my part, I usually countersink from the front or tap from the back of the front panel when it's 10 mm (the latter takes a couple of washers to get position right, but works surprisingly well), but I can see the advantage of not having to do either of these :)

Edited by MLA

55 minutes ago, gepardcv said:

I like to mill 10mm panels from the front so that the volume knob is recessed, so I vote for standard length shafts.

Noted. The first step is to ask if they can do what @UFN wants, and what the minimum quantity is for doing that. If enough are interested and minimum quantity is low, we might make that an option. I usually do thinner panels than 10 mm, so some portion of the GB will definitely be standard length.

What I was after was simply that the shaft itself (non-threaded part) was 20-25mm like on the Alps pots instead of the stock 14mm for TKD. If you need it shorter it should be easy to trim with a small hacksaw or a dremel-type tool anyway (clamp shaft the while cutting to avoid any mechanical damage).

My rationale is simple: I normally countersink pots from the front, because it's simpler and it can be done without a mill if needed. Any work on the back of the panel requires a mill or CNC because you normally have to make room for the whole body of the pot, pcb etc. in order to get it more than a couple of mm. deep. A longer shaft also should make it easier to mount and center the large knobs typically favoured by the HC community ( ;) )

Extending the threaded part would of course work as well, but as that would make it difficult to use the pot with thin front panels so I wouldn't recommend going this way (or ask that we do so).

//UFN

I would be interested in a tad bit more thread on these. I've used them on 1/4" panels and there is "just" enough. Also, you don't want to be in a situation where you have to really over tighten because of having only a few threads as it will become difficult to turn.

Good news; customized shaft lengths can be had at an additional cost of about 1 USD per piece, and min quantity is 1, which means @UFN can have the length he desires without that affecting anything else.

Bad news (for GeorgeP): custom thread length was not possible.

UFN: please tell me how much extra length you want for your pots. Anyone else who also want longer shafts; let me know.

I will close the GB tomorrow. Those who have not paid but who are still interested, please make your payment.

Edited by MLA

I would suggest a) that the shaft length should be 25mm (above the threaded part) for both the CP601 and the CP2511 and b)) out of consideration for @MLAthat we limit the choice to two options (regular/long shaft) for each model :)

@MLAHave added 2 pcs. CP2511 to the sheet. I'll pay the difference over my original payment tonight.

//UFN  

53 minutes ago, sorenb said:

@MLA can you please add a column to the sheet for shaft length? I'd like additional length as well

Done. Regular will be the default option if no choice is indicated.

4 minutes ago, UFN said:

I would suggest a) that the shaft length should be 25mm (above the threaded part) for both the CP601 and the CP2511 and b)) out of consideration for @MLAthat we limit the choice to two options (regular/long shaft) for each model :)

I agree :) Those who want extended shafts, please indicate so in the spreadsheet.