Westworld

TMoney

I am a big fan of the Yul Brynner movie.

That said, I'm totally digging what they're doing with this show.  References to repeated storyline ideas like Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow.  I totally dug the use of an orchestral version of Paint It Black (Battlestar Galactica reference?), and then the bizarre Shakespeare quotes that just was its own thing.

In.

Keeping tabs on the songs (it's all very deliberate, apparently):  Episode 2 -- Radiohead, No Surprises @ 24:35 -- I had to look this one up, too, but at least I recognized it right away as a player piano/orchestral rendition of a contemporary pop tune.

I love what they did with the Thandi Newton character, "bump up her aggression" (and she practically grabs a guest by her pussy), and then turn up her emotional acuity just a tad, and she becomes just right?

17 minutes ago, grawk said:

it certainly felt like rushing to me last night.

I didn't think so: most of the scenes with Dolores were quite measured.  As were the scenes between Ford and Bernard.  I thought the conversation between Teddy and Delores was lovely.  I never know that Evan Rachel Wood was such a good actor.

So, the woodcarver: I got the impression that he did that to himself to avoid being analyzed.  Maybe part of the maze?

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grawk said:

it certainly felt like rushing to me last night.

What?  No, not even maybe.  Maybe compared to Luke Cage, but pretty much no other show I can think of (certainly not Dollhouse).

And it was during (one of?) the conversation(s?) between Bernard and Ford where there was an automaton playing piano in the background (I :ian: the fact that they use largely pianos, and a variety of them, even during the opening credits) that I'm not recognizing the song.  (wanders off, returns)  Ooh, ooh, I was right, it was Debussy:

Nice, another callback to "reveries".

• Like 2

On 10/17/2016 at 9:38 PM, grawk said:

But I don't know the source material at all.

Give the old movie a watch if you like 70's scifi. It's only about an hour and a half. The show departs drastically from it except for the main premise and a few thematic similarities though. The movie is mostly good for seeing what Terminator and Jurassic Park pulled from it later.