Balanced to unbalanced board

sbelyo

30 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

2ff58d7b41.png

A little breakout board for the AD5254 digital potentiometer... so I can dynamically bias the Dynalo through my phone (through a uC). 256 step resolution but lowest full wiper resistance seems to be 1k so 3.9 ohm per step. 

Very nice! i have been looking for something like this.

if you are going thru all that effort (and its a good idea) might as well add some hall effect devices on the power rails to monitor the bias current.

something I did in the uberamp quite a while ago and that made the bias super stable, set it to what you want and it works. then if you want to get super silly, add dynamic bias

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very slowly coming along... just noting the size difference.

What is everyone using for the right angle headers? I bought some 4 pin headers for the main 4 pins but ground pin is off to the side, maybe just airwire that one? Also are you socketing the headers or directly soldering? If socketing what are you using?

20170708_013406.jpg

Edited by mypasswordis
  • Like 2

So I did end up using a female header socket and air wiring the ground. The part number for the 4 pin right angle header is 68016-404hlf. The leds I used are extremely bright orange-red, glad once i case it up it will be harder to see. I am measuring about 3.95ma after a few minutes warm up but the thing lights up like a Christmas tree. Will do further testing hopefully over the weekend 

20170712_174555.jpg

20170712_211501.jpg

Edit: the diamond buffer boards are getting really toasty

Edited by mypasswordis
  • Like 6

I have a discrete opamp that is unity gain stable that sounds quite nice. Once you get this up and running and familiar with the sound, I would appreciate a comparison. Will send samples for positive review only though. K thx bye.

Actually, it would be a PITA - mine are dual opamps on a single board. So, would probably need a new board.

• Like 1

Got some old RPi heatsinks I can stick on if need be. Gotta check with temperature probe 

19 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

I have a discrete opamp that is unity gain stable that sounds quite nice. Once you get this up and running and familiar with the sound, I would appreciate a comparison. Will send samples for positive review only though. K thx bye.

Actually, it would be a PITA - mine are dual opamps on a single board. So, would probably need a new board.

Okay let me know whenever!

Put a heatsink on the back of the buffers

Could you be persuaded to modify the board? Basically would need a SIP-10 pinout for the dual opamp and usual external resistors.

Pinout would be:

1 - signal ground

2 - OUT_A

3 - -IN_A

4 - +IN_A

5 - -23V

6 - +IN_B

7 - -IN_B

8 - OUT_B

9 - +23V

10 - psu ground

Drop-in replacement for something like NJM4558E, pin 1 and pin 10 are omitted (one of the advantages to a discrete opamp is handling ground properly/differently/carefully)

http://akizukidenshi.com/download/NJM4558.pdf

Also, would need to note changes to the external circuit for slightly higher rails.

So I did end up using a female header socket and air wiring the ground. The part number for the 4 pin right angle header is 68016-404hlf. The leds I used are extremely bright orange-red, glad once i case it up it will be harder to see. I am measuring about 3.95ma after a few minutes warm up but the thing lights up like a Christmas tree. Will do further testing hopefully over
Edit: the diamond buffer boards are getting really toasty

A few questions:
1) The air wires I presume are grounds? Ground(s) aren't accommodated in the connector pin pattern? (I didn't look at my boards obviously)
2) How did you attach the heat sinks?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll know once you look at the boards, there is a gap between ground and the other 4 pins. If it's just a standard 2.54mm gap then potentially you could use a 6 pin header (if you cut the end off the gap header), though the socket end would still need to be 4 and 1, and the unused gap header would just be dangling. 

The RPi heatsinks already have some 3M adhesive squares so just stick them on. :) I wasn't sure if they were electrically insulating so just to be safe, I avoided the vias on the bottom of the boards. 

Edited by mypasswordis