Why Bob Dylan keeps silence about the Nobel?

mtoc

• 2 weeks later...

The Obama/Dylan overlap is also kinda cool.

In 2010, after Dylan performed at the White House for the first time, Rolling Stone asked Obama about Dylan's performance. Obama raved about the experience, but also revealed quite a bit about what it's like to encounter the real Dylan:

"Here's what I love about Dylan: He was exactly as you'd expect he would be. He wouldn't come to the rehearsal; usually, all these guys are practicing before the set in the evening. He didn't want to take a picture with me; usually all the talent is dying to take a picture with me and Michelle before the show, but he didn't show up to that. He came in and played 'The Times They Are A-Changin'.' A beautiful rendition. The guy is so steeped in this stuff that he can just come up with some new arrangement, and the song sounds completely different. Finishes the song, steps off the stage — I'm sitting right in the front row — comes up, shakes my hand, sort of tips his head, gives me just a little grin, and then leaves. And that was it — then he left. That was our only interaction with him. And I thought: That's how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don't want him to be all cheesin' and grinnin' with you. You want him to be a little skeptical about the whole enterprise. So that was a real treat."

• Like 2

You seen Neil Young live recently? For whole eternities of the set he and his band stood with their backs to the audience and just jammed to themselves. And because he has got experimental in his late maturity there were bewildering numbers with garbage blowing across the stage from a huge fan. No, I've still no idea what that was about.

5 hours ago, swt61 said:

Uhm what? I don't think he's ever been accused of that before. Great songwriter...yes, great at imparting those lyrics...yes, great singer...well, as compared to what?

Shatner.  He's a better singer than Shatner.

3 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

You seen Neil Young live recently? For whole eternities of the set he and his band stood with their backs to the audience and just jammed to themselves. And because he has got experimental in his late maturity there were bewildering numbers with garbage blowing across the stage from a huge fan. No, I've still no idea what that was about.

(pictures Shirley, Duke, Butch and Steve hurtling across the stage behind Neil Young)

Nope, no idea.

15 hours ago, SaraPark said:

He is great Singer. 

ROFL Garfield.jpg

10 hours ago, swt61 said:

Uhm what? I don't think he's ever been accused of that before. Great songwriter...yes, great at imparting those lyrics...yes, great singer...well, as compared to what?

He would be one of the few who makes Kris Kristofferson sound melodious and professional.

His greatest mistake was that when his mother said he could sing.

He misunderstood the permission to sing as being capable of holding a tune......   :ph34r:

• Like 1

I completely agree with your assessment of Kristofferson too. Funny thing though, even though both can't sing well, I still enjoy the two very much. It's their ability to place you there, in the story. Both are also fantastic wordsmiths. Kris idolized Dylan, but never met him in his days in The Village. He finally met him at Cash's house. Personally I feel Kris has a slight edge at using words to paint a picture. The lyrics in Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down are incredible.

Dylan makes you decide what his lyrics mean in many cases. Kris' need no interpretation.

Edited by swt61