Best amp for the stax 207?

mtoc

in decreasing order of money (at least I think so, not so sure)

all DHT direct coupled thing (no name yet) and a bit pricy (8 x emission labs output tubes)

kgsshv carbon circlotron with emission labs tubes

diy T2 with emission labs output tubes

megatron with emission labs tubes

kgbh with emission labs tubes

diy T2 with 6ca7 output tubes

kgsshv carbon circlotron solid state

kgbh with 6ca7 tubes

kgsshv carbon

the rest do not matter

(kgss,kgsshv,all triode,srx2)

did I forget any?

16 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

all DHT direct coupled thing (no name yet) and a bit pricy (8 x emission labs output tubes)

kgsshv carbon circlotron with emission labs tubes

diy T2 with emission labs output tubes

megatron with emission labs tubes

kgbh with emission labs tubes

diy T2 with 6ca7 output tubes

kgsshv carbon circlotron solid state

kgbh with 6ca7 tubes

kgsshv carbon

the rest do not matter

(kgss,kgsshv,all triode,srx2)

did I forget any?

Grounded Grid - probably falls somewhere between KGBH with 6CA7 tubes and KGSSHV carbon in the list. 

12 hours ago, mwl168 said:

If you have to buy all parts from scratch, I don't think a KGSS will be any cheaper than say a KGSSHV Carbon to build. And I do believe you can build a Carbon for under $3000 not counting labor.

Under $2000, provided you (1) already have all the tools you need, (2) use an inexpensive volume control, and (3) keep your casework modest. (I did none of the above.)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

I never said it was not worthy. 

Joking (subtle reference to Wayne's World). :D  On a serious note, I tried rebuilding my PS to make it quieter and discovered it is significantly noisier than I had thought.  OTOH, a friend built a KGST using the KGSSHV PS and it is definitely quieter.

Edited by JimL

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 4:39 AM, kevin gilmore said:

kgsshv carbon circlotron with emission labs tubes…

Which of them has lowest distortion when we implement it properly? Does solid state stuff has lower distortion than the tubey in this case?

46 minutes ago, kevin gilmore said:

It should be clear by now that the cavalli audio liquid lightning version 2T has the lowest distortion of any amplifier on the planet.

It'd be nice, IF low distortion defines the quality of the sound.

I found These on a site, which name is so obvious that I don't need to give it. And I assume from your post, Dr. Kevin you saw that too:

Correct. Something about the BHSE having a lot of orders vs long lead times. The BHSE is a great amp, though I personally preferred the LLmk1 with the 009. The 007 might pair better with the BHSE, but did not compared that combo back to back.

While I'm not into stats currently, I would like to make this post a little more relevant to the LL2mk2. According to Cavalli's own website:

For the (I think) original SS LLmk2, and according to Cavalli's webpage:

400V Rails / 1600Vpp
Bias - Jack #1 580V, Jack #2 580V, 500V or 540V

Measurements

Measurements on the new amp are basically the same as below. We'll post these as soon as we get the amps back from reviewers.

We have asked Avenson Audio to do THD+N measurements on the LL2. Here are the results.

Equipment: Prism DScope Series III.
Signal path:Balanced input #1 (going through the input switching network).
Input: 1kHz at -13.1dbV to generate 100VRMS peak (280Vpp) output voltage (the way Stax reports on their amps).
Load:100pf plus approximately 20pf || 200k from equipment (120pf total).

See table in lower left for math (measurements are RMS).

LL

I know some may find the THD numbers hard to believe at room temperature... But a transparent-fi dynamic O2 amp seems to pull 0.0016% THD into 150 ohms at room temperature, so while not certain, I don't think those numbers would require to put the amp in the freezer. The -140 dBr noise floor seems reasonable to me as well.

Dunno what the numbers are for the latest LLmk2 iteration.

Would also like to hear more details on the photo resistor volume control and how it improves performance.

Well, he describes O2 as "transparent-fi"... along many other things he knows... Impressive.

I'm not sarcastic for this question, I'm asking this cuz I don't know really: Isn't 280ppV little bit low for a measurement of an amp which allegedly can go as high as 1600ppV?

And numbers again... i guess THD measurements replaced 80's RMS...

And I guess i have a pretty bad DAC, noone knows it's THD... MHDT Lab gives so little tech info about their products... But I must have shitty ears cuz i love my Atlantis.

For I cannot hear that low THD numbers, I must have pretty bad ears, so I don't want to hear anything below %0,1 THD for i cannot hear anyway.

It's bullshitness is so obvious, why people can not see it I don't understand.

7 hours ago, mtoc said:

Which of them has lowest distortion when we implement it properly? Does solid state stuff has lower distortion than the tubey in this case?

Don't care about THD, it means no effing thing below one zero IMHO.

As I know you have Sr-207. Can you hear the distortions at 20Hz, 200Hz and 2kHz?

Edited by Sechtdamon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

It should be clear by now that the cavalli audio liquid lightning version 2T has the lowest distortion of any amplifier on the planet.

i'm waiting for Cavalli to claim that the LL2 and subsequent electrostatic amps  actually go into negative distortion.

And everybody knows that negative distortion equals commensurate musicality - The moar the bettah......  :P

The big question  here is:- How do you measure a pig in a poke..?   Length, width, rotundicity, mass or shade of lipstick...?

O2 has gain of 10db max

electrostatic amps have gain in the range 54 to 60 db

pick absolutely the most noise free input fet or bipolar you want, and you can't get to those noise numbers at 54db of gain

even pumped liquid helium devices used in nmr cryoprobes (costing about $500k these days) have more noise than this. I have 2 of these and a lot of experience with the parts inside.

the dscope as well as audio precision and every other digital computerized thd meter have maximum voltage input limits. So the question is whether they used an input attenuator to generate that, and in any case what the input impedance the amplifier really sees. Because even at 100k input impedance, the meter has a much lower impedance than the headphones would have at 1khz. Measuring this accurately is very hard. Generating bullshit numbers is easy.

Every one of the ss amps i have built has a thd of less than .01% with an appropriate 10x attenuator running 95% voltage swing

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, DefQon said:

I wonder when Cavalli will name his next amp Liquid Ass or Liquid Shit. 

With their huge false ego, i bet they love their farts and shits too. So not far away i guess...

I felt before my curiosity once again and i asked to my friends to find me Diarrhea, aka. Liquid Carbon. I'll get it soon and listen it for 1-2 weeks min. And no i'm not a masochist.