Rega Apollo R as transport?

shellylh

I am thinking of getting a Rega Apollo R as a transport for my headphone rig (transport -> PS Audio PWD MKII -> BHSE).  I need something that is a half rack size and this seems to be pretty nice.  I like that it loads from the top too.  Anyone know any reason to not get it? 

The other option would be a CD player that would be used as a transport and dac (instead of the PWD).  This could be full size.  It would need to have optical in so that I could play music from my Apple Express. 

REAPOLLOR_BLK_LIFE.jpg

Edited by shellylh

The only reason I can think is that it only plays CDs (I.E. not DVDs, SACDs, nor Blu-Rays), and I'm not sure it even plays CD-Rs (earlier Rega models had problems).  But yes, it is an excellent transport, if all you're going to play are CDs.

I've gotten to the point where I either rip the CD right away, or use the download (if it's Bandcamp/lossless).  Then any old computer will do.  Or my little portable Sony.  There's probably one with a digital out that you can link up to a DAC or the Oppo DAC/amp.  I understand that's not what you're asking, so feel free to ignore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

Was going to ask why you're not considering the Parasound ZCD, but I see it's discontinued. Sad, because I use mine as a transport with excellent results, for about 1/3 the cost.

zcd_angle_black.jpg

Indeed, I looked into getting the ZCD a couple of weeks ago and then found out it was discontinued. 

2 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

The only reason I can think is that it only plays CDs (I.E. not DVDs, SACDs, nor Blu-Rays), and I'm not sure it even plays CD-Rs (earlier Rega models had problems).  But yes, it is an excellent transport, if all you're going to play are CDs.

I've gotten to the point where I either rip the CD right away, or use the download (if it's Bandcamp/lossless).  Then any old computer will do.  Or my little portable Sony.  There's probably one with a digital out that you can link up to a DAC or the Oppo DAC/amp.  I understand that's not what you're asking, so feel free to ignore.

Indeed, I am looking for something that will play CDs.  A lot of times I stream music but I miss having a CD player. 

Edited by shellylh

I wonder if they still make anything like my Sony DVP-PQ1.  It has a digital coaxial out (the main reason I got it, as most of them were optical):

Image result for sony dvp-pq1

There aren't too many half-rack (that's what you're looking for, essentially) CD players.  If you Google "half rack cd player", you get a bunch of Teacs, and a Rolls HR72, whatever that is.  Tascam appears to have a couple of tall somethings, but they appear to be overkill, I'd stick with either the Rega or -- what I use to play all my silver disks -- the Oppo BDP-whatever-the-current-model-is.  It's full-size, but I use the built-in DAC.

• Like 1