Do you hear what I hear?

luvdunhill

Dusty could be right about phase cancelation.

I usually try the cheapest/easiest solutions first so try moving the subs then speakers than listening position,.. well, you know the drill. 

And work with your ears until it seems like you've made a real difference. 

Don't get too in love with the measurements. 

For me the thing that was causing a phasey sound in the bass was the chimney above the fireplace. That gave an organ pipe resonance at 30Hz and harmonics (60, 120 etc Hz). Cured it by stuffing the chimney with a load of old clothes that I'd been storing up for gardening etc in.

I was keen on using Monster Traps on the rear wall http://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/gik-acoustics-monster-bass-trap-flexrange-technology/ which were very affordable. Unfortunately the WAF actually went negative, something I did not think was possible. That was very much a one sided discussion :blink:

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 1

Things are sounding much better - I really improved the stereo imaging in the process.

I am probably going the GIK Acoustics route next - ordered a Gilford of Maine swatch book to pick out some fabric...

I also have some ideas on how I will permanently integrate the ULN-2 into my system, now that I am comfortable with it. It sounds quite nice.

Final graph - each line is combined stereo from the listening position (the difference between the lines was some experimentation with two different phase plug configurations on the Lowthers)

74eac1af9ecfcb8a14ee3ac5d9d74767.png

Hoping to smooth things out a bit with treatments and trap the heck out of the bass.

19 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I have a friend in the UK that makes bass traps that actually look very nice, although they often have a theme of pop and/or rock, because he'll use use concert T-shirts and the like, but I'm sure he can adapt them to something more WAF-friendly.  Do you want me to ask him what the name of his business is?

That good sir would be most helpful - thanks!

16 hours ago, swt61 said:

Straight guys, heh.

heh. okay, since you spoke up :)

Current wall color is this:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6204#/6204/?s=colorDetails&p=PS0

Suggestions from here?

https://www.guilfordofmaine.com/patterns/2100

I'm thinking something that is a near match or would blend. 

36 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Don't listen to Dusty's future recommendation of Iris 2100-798.

Heh.

Actually, I really like Amethyst, 2100-424, but would probably recommend (none more) Black 2100-408 -- would go with anything!

But damn, that Iris shore is purdy!  Good eye, thinking I'd like it.

Do you know, I even prefer the purple mouthwash.  I just have to make sure not to confuse it with the purple window cleaner when I come home from shopping.

Eucalyptus and Stream are the best matches. Maybe Eucalyptus even more so, as it has more of the Grey in the Green.

I would either match the color as closely as possible, or go with a completely different, yet complimentary color.

The best complimentary color is the opposite on the color wheel, which in this case is Red, but if you go that way you need to repeat the color in the room a few times. For example, a predominantly Red painting, a large Red vase, Red pillows on the sofa etc...

Edited by swt61

3 hours ago, swt61 said:

Eucalyptus and Stream are the best matches. Maybe Eucalyptus even more so, as it has more of the Grey in the Green.

I would either match the color as closely as possible, or go with a completely different, yet complimentary color.

The best complimentary color is the opposite on the color wheel, which in this case is Red, but if you go that way you need to repeat the color in the room a few times. For example, a predominantly Red painting, a large Red vase, Red pillows on the sofa etc...

I thought you were supposed to go 2/3 of the way around the colour wheel.

On 11/14/2016 at 9:12 PM, swt61 said:

Here they are in the flesh. Lighting makes it a bit harder I think. These should be full resolution links:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByiOVOm07uqqMkVsR0FISGdZQUE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByiOVOm07uqqd2tpR1h1TlVxMEk

Well, ordered. Also, Silver Papier is an "in stock" color and cheaper. I can't wait to get them and hopefully it won't be too tricky to get them installed. I have some electrical work to do in the room and reconfiguring the closet. Then I want to do some recessed lighting (doesn't look too hard to DIY, mostly need to map out where the joists are above) then will look at the ceiling treatments. That's my end year goal for the room.

• Like 1