Do you hear what I hear?

luvdunhill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back to my "crazy Feedback problem"....

So, after playing with an embarrassing number of snake-oil laden isolation devices, which I will never ever admit in public, I have a solution. I tried inflatables (wide open, I know), squishy balls (not getting better), sorbothane (not really that one is a joke), spikes (not really into that)... things costing $0-$1000.

I have to say this was easy because of my Enya torture track - surprisingly snake oil salesmen don't like empirical tests and demanded more "listening".

Ok, anyone (maybe only Dusty cares) want to guess what worked? Hint is that it is a pretty large "isolation" vendor. I would have never tried it, but had a somewhat local vendor with some demo units and they just worked...

I don't know, and too close to my bedtime to guess, but I am incredibly curious.  If you want to give it 24 hours, I'll guess tomorrow.  Speaker isolation (Auralex, Primacoustics) or Turntable isolation (...uh...).

Oh, look at that, Auralex makes something called an ISO-Tone...that's my guess.

What about volume, did that make a difference?

Turntable isolation.

Volume made a difference to some extent. I also seem to getting massive static buildup which isn't getting drained away via the earth connection. It takes about 75% of a side and then goes a bit nuts, even with the needle a few mm from the record (and the mat just sticks like glue to the record).

Regardless, this problem was definitely feedback and seems totally gone.

https://vimeo.com/199100859

Hm. Tapatalk maybe is having problems with videos?

Well, you can think why the cork blocks wouldn't work (tried those) - the turntable is on a shelf already which constrains which dimensions it can move in. It can't really move up and down as the wall won't allow that more or less (I am not a "physicist" like a certain other headphone amplifier manufacturer). The problem seems to be in the other direction ("in" and "out") - add some pseudo-science, hand-waving, etc. here

6 hours ago, swt61 said:

You did not answer anything. You are banished to the land of Bybee.

Surprising how many snake oil merchants invoke the word "quantum" without the blindest understanding what it means.

In the UK the Bybee equivalent is Peter Belt http://www.pwbelectronics.co.uk/pwb-price-list

Anyone for "Gold Message Foil", "Quantum Clip Film", "Morphic Green Cream" or even "“Friendly” Four legged stance device" - Belt has them all, and much more strange and wonderful nonsense beside.

Oh youngster, if you only knew how fiddly, tuney and finicky i used to be back in the day. I would buy an album, inner sleeve and outer sleeve. Coat the album with the best rated coating of the day, play it once, while recording it onto Nackamichi's highest grade metal tape. Then store it lovingly into my collection. Don't even get me started on static control and stylus cleaning!

• Like 2