Downsizing Speaker Setup

Kerry

I went down a rabbit hole last night looking into the LX-mini +2 and in particular the DSP cross-overs.  Looks really interesting.

I also though if I shortened the tube (not sure how that will effect the sound) put a veneer over the tube it and wall mount it, it has potential.  Also, I could create a teardrop shaped (top view) wire frame that would go over the top driver with some speaker cloth.

I'd need a sub woofer or the +2 option, but have a space for that already.

Interesting.

My crazy DIY speaker project is to recreate the MBL tweeter / mid range and recreate something like the MBL 126 but with a smaller cabinet also adding a subwoofer.  I was thinking the DSP active cross-over would be an excellent way of tuning the system.

@Craig Sawyers - Not sure if the Hypex six channel DLCP is the right option to be looking at for this.

All very interesting though.

• Like 2

I think it depends on what the W prefers, since the LXmini seems to have a mainly cardioidal polar pattern, whereas with true dipoles you definitely need  at least 3-4 feet in the back and probably some acoustic absorption as well. I can confirm from experience with 6 ft tall Acoustats that large black rectangular prisms get to be fairly intimidating that far into the room

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

I think it depends on what the W prefers, since the LXmini seems to have a mainly cardioidal polar pattern, whereas with true dipoles you definitely need  at least 3-4 feet in the back and probably some acoustic absorption as well. I can confirm from experience with 6 ft tall Acoustats that large black rectangular prisms get to be fairly intimidating that far into the room

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

I think a wife would be less thrilled about something that looks like you're repairing the plumbing on your house, than a big rectangular panel.

I think in both cases the statement would be something like, "What's that thing over there, I'm not happy!"  I agree on the pluming parts as well as having something in the middle of the room.  I'll throw a design together to show you what I was thinking.

53 minutes ago, Grand Enigma said:

Wrap it in burlap and write Martha Stewart Home on it and you should be all set.

This could work :)

• Like 2

Quad ESL-57 and (afaik custom modified) Janszen A1.1 horizontal directivity plots.

Source:

https://www.princeton.edu/3D3A/Directivity.html

In the standard Janszen "configuration, the entire area gets the midrange signal, and only half gets treble. In this way, treble dispersion is increased so that it overlaps the midrange dispersion."

Source:

http://www.janszenaudio.com/janszen-panel-construction

The newer active models have digital crossovers.

I have been looking for an used pair in my country, but they are rare here.

Quad%20Electroacoustics%20ESL-57%20H%20Front%20Contour%20Plot.png

JansZen%20Loudspeaker%20zA1.1%20H%20Contour%20Plot.png