NYC Meet Feb 4-5 2017

jp11801

1 hour ago, Voltron said:

...and drag him into a ladies room? Not possible to pick up the Viking giant

No, look again. That was aimed at MPI. Just giving him more crap for CJ10, because Head-Case.

48 minutes ago, Dreadhead said:

So if I show up by train on the 3rd and leave early on the 5th will I qualify for the travel team? Or would someone know where I could get a parking spot?

Well, if you want to impress us, ride your bicycle there. :blink:

• Like 2

So I have preliminary permission but I will likely fly in as I can't leave until the third and have to be back to teach on the 7th. Luckily there are direct flights between Daytona and JFK. Are we all staying at the (I still can't bring myself to call it CanJam) event hotel?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dreadhead said:

So if I show up by train on the 3rd and leave early on the 5th will I qualify for the travel team? Or would someone know where I could get a parking spot?

I'm going to say yes since my best scenario will probably have me in town less than 24hrs.  Ideally I'll drive down in the early morning, spend the day with you fools and drive back early the next morning.  Currently seeking a copilot... @skullguise

• Like 3

12 hours ago, n_maher said:

I'm going to say yes since my best scenario will probably have me in town less than 24hrs.  Ideally I'll drive down in the early morning, spend the day with you fools and drive back early the next morning.  Currently seeking a copilot... @skullguise

Unfortunately, no go for me Nate.  Would love to see everyone, meet or no meet!  But as usual, family plans are made well ahead of time.....damn that social wife of mine, why can't she be more a hermit curmudgeon like her husband.....

Jet Blue are having their "A December to Adventure / 12 Days of Deals " in the run up to Christmas.

New deals announced 1PM EST / 10AM PST Daily

http://www.jetblue12days.com/

Of course their web site is currently under heavy load, after yesterdays from $20 one-way offers 

but checking via https://www.kayak.com/flights  I see SFO<-> JFK for $129 return! for the time in question ...

https://slickdeals.net/f/9503740-hot-jetblue-airlines-rt-airfares-from-new-york-boston-ft-lauderdale-and-los-angeles-san-francisco-128-nonstop

I may need to work on Joanne, or offer her the prospect of a weekend in New York with/without you lot!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dsavitsk said:

I'll likely take the train down for a day to see everyone, though I'm not sure I care to see what the latest IEM tip manufacturer has on offer. And my door is open if anyone feels like venturing up to beautiful Hartford ...

Doug - what day were you considering heading down on the train? I keep telling Allison that we need to visit...

• Like 1

Dew eet Purk!

Grahame, I just looked at Jet Blue and there are $128 round trips from SFO, and on Virgin it is currently at $267 round trip.  I didn't go through the deal portal on Jet Blue but the prices were as low as $65 each way.  It seems like we can get something very reasonable regardless.

JP and I talked through some plans this morning, and I want to float some ideas:

Hotel:  I booked a room for JP and me at the Head-Fi event hotel, NY Marriott Marquis.  I think Raffy and Mike are looking at hotels nearby.  Times Square isn't the greatest but it seems easiest to congregate in one neighborhood.  JP has also mentioned the Aloft Hotel in Brooklyn where we stayed a few years ago because Brooklyn is more fun that Times Square.  Anyone want to shift there or have a better place to congregate?

Meet Attendance:  The HF meet runs from 10-6 Saturday and 10-5 on Sunday.  People can decide on attendance for themselves, but it seems the prime day for getting the maximum number of Casers together is Saturday.  Perhaps we should plan excursions and get-togethers during the day Saturday and leave Sunday more open for HF meet.  Even if people go to the meet Saturday, they can still link up with the party train later in the day or evening.  I am personally planning to go on Sunday morning/noonish.

Friday:  Whoever is available should try to gather near the hotel or pick another spot -- Manhattan cocktail bars? Ginger Man, Blind Tiger, Proletariat and/or other beer joints? 

Saturday:  After breakfast, I want to bolt for Other Half Brewing in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn to be there by Noon.  JP suggests getting there by opening time is critical because of the small size of the tasting room.  If there is a can release that day, some of us might want to be even earlier.  After Other Half, we could make our way to Williamsburg, Brooklyn where some of our favorite spots are located, including Spuyten Deyvil, Torst, Barcade, Fette Sau BBQ, etc.  We could also end up back wherever we are staying for late night antics.  Again, I am just throwing out ideas so we could pick another itinerary or locale so speak up.

Sunday:  The meet starts at 10:00 so that is where some people will go for a few hours or all day.  Others can be tourists, get drunk early, wander the streets, whatever.  We should pick a dinner idea for those of us staying until late Sunday or Monday.  

Monday:  Breakfast or other plans?  Airport runs.

Plenty of food for thought.  Not a lot of need for truly concrete plans, but it's still fun to think about and it allows the one-day folks to make arrangements.

• Like 7