NYC Meet Feb 4-5 2017

jp11801

On 1/17/2017 at 6:41 PM, swt61 said:

Age plays a major role in hangovers. He was pretty young in 2010. 

I never had a hangover until my 25th birthday.  I definitely had a hangover on my 25th birthday.  That Mega Bus trip back to Cincinnati was brutal.  I wish I could go to this, but I don't think it's going to happen.

6 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

This is the second-worst thing that's happened in the last 24 hours.

Jim is not allowed to bail! 

Dusty when you roll into Penn Station text MPI and we can direct you from there. If we are still at other half or prime meats then hop on the F train if not wherever we are it's likely we'll be accessible by subway.

• Like 1

I'll be busy HeadAmping during meet hours, but I am definitely excited that we have a good contingent for NYC adventures.  Here's a couple of spots I haven't seen mentioned, that I enjoyed on my last NYC trip, not sure if they will be convenient to any of our activities, but though to mention them:

Big Alice Brewing, Long Island City - Super chill little brewery, great smoked saison, several different good sours, and more. Met the owner, a laid-back guy from Wisconsin, who was very accommodating, and opened a bottle of their gin-barrel-aged anniversary beer for me and my companion to try, even though it wasn't on the menu.  Really enjoyed this spot.

City Hops Beer Store, 60th and 2nd - Think SF's city beer in miniature. Maybe 5 bar seats total. High-quality small taplist and friendly staff

Augur's Well, East Village - I really liked the tap list and vibe at this place, they were pretty focused on local stuff mostly unfamiliar to my west coast ass, and I had a few amazing beers here.

Ginger Man is of course pretty close to our meet location, and has a great beer selection, if being a total clusterfuck both times I have visited.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hopstretch said:

If the Ginger Man is a shitshow on Friday, my mate who works around there suggests Rattle N Hum on East 33rd St. as an alternative.

Heard of it, heard it's good, haven't been. Last time I went to GM was on a Saturday, and it was just very crowded and loud, but still entirely possible to get beers, which was good as they had quite a lineup of sours that night.

• Like 1

Food looks decent https://www.yelp.com/biz/rattle-n-hum-east-new-york

e.g.

" -FISH N CHIPS- Hands down the tastiest fish n chips I've had. Anywhere. I've had ones from authentic British places and they didn't taste as good as Rattle n Hum's. Fressh battered cod, yum ($14)
"

o.jpg

And for you drinkers ...

“The best flight paddles I've ever encountered--entirely coated in blackboard paint, and appropriately marked before serving!”

o.jpg

o.jpg

Edited by Grahame

I don't remember where that was, but definitely. The most popular place which every tourist goes to is Ippudo, but there can be an hour long wait depending on when you go. There are two locations, one in lower east side and another on like 54th in the west side or something. Somewhat pricey. I can look into more places if you want. 

Edit: forgot to mention Proletariat is extremely tiny so groups not really possible, especially at peak times

Edited by mypasswordis

I was thinking Sunday brunch, it doesn't have to be that place (especially since I don't remember anything about it other than what I had was red and spicy and delicious), but let's find a good one.  That's pretty much the entirety of my criteria.

And no, it wasn't Jin, now that I think about it.  Jin got me my first...the entryway drug, as it were...

Just throwing another idea out there... Tim Ho Wan, a dim sum place, just opened. No idea if it's any good, but there are or at least have been super long wait lines. 

Brunch in NYC usually implies (possibly bottomless) drinking, but I think that's a pretty bad idea on Sunday. Jude and Fang, etc, will probably at the meet.