NYC Meet Feb 4-5 2017

jp11801

3 hours ago, mypasswordis said:

Very blurry pic of the only bar in the city without a tv, replaced by red hat stinkeye douche, can't spare a single cig camo douche, and bartender douchette

20170205_201447.jpg

What do you mean blurry?  That's precisely how I remember it...

• Like 6

Agree with everyone above. I'm probably never going to do a real write-up, so just going to post a lazy personal ranking from top to bottom of the non-Stax headphones I heard, which is not many because I spent most of the time in the AP room.

Sony MDR-Z1R - pretty damn good, a bit too much bass at times but very easy to EQ that down a few dB

Hifiman HE1000 v2 - surprisingly good, I liked it better than the Shangri La. But then again, I liked everything better than the Shangri La. Not gonna go into the whole build quality thing again

Focal Utopia - there's a bit of an upper mid to lower treble peak that makes things sound "forward" (or ear stabby depending on your view), and it's slightly bass light. Stax usually has a small bump in the upper mid/lower treble region but the electrostat treble is smoother than dynamics which makes it less offensive

Sonoma Electrostats - there's a lot of weird stuff going on as has been discussed before. Single-stator driver, converting D to A to A to D to D to A again because of DSP EQ, etc etc, but somehow it didn't sound too bad in the end IMO. Nothing to write home about though

MrSpeakers Ether something or other - Not too bad but I did the hand dipole test (waving my hands in front of the back grilles) and strangely did not hear any change in sound. The "open" version doesn't seem to be as open as you would think... maybe there's a lot of acoustic damping. 

Audeze LCD-4 - typical underdamped ortho sound. Bloated bass and everything else kind of hazy, and the large dip in the treble makes it sound a bit sleepy as well. Would be interested to see what happens with some damping

Hifiman Shangri La - the first one I heard was so damn bad, I thought it might be broken so I gave it a second chance the second day. I compared both Shangri Las connected to the 300B amp Sunday and one of them was noticeably brighter than the other so the manufacturing process isn't great. Neither of them was as bad as what I heard on the first day, but probably around HD600/650 level. I would recommend saving the $49,700

Edited by mypasswordis
  • Like 2

I forgot to add. The AP guy said I can give him a list of all the headphones I want measurements of, and whatever he has he will send to me. Anyone desperately want something in particular? I currently have HE1000 v2, LCD-4, Utopia, and my 2 vintage headphones. When we were there we asked Fang for the Edition 6 to measure but he said all the units he brought to the show were prototypes, so that's not an option. 

44 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

I forgot to add. The AP guy said I can give him a list of all the headphones I want measurements of, and whatever he has he will send to me. Anyone desperately want something in particular? I currently have HE1000 v2, LCD-4, Utopia, and my 2 vintage headphones. When we were there we asked Fang for the Edition 6 to measure but he said all the units he brought to the show were prototypes, so that's not an option. 

How about HE1000 V1 vs V2? oh and Sony MDR-Z1R. Inform him to test THD+N, not THD. The rest is not needed. MR. Tyll Hertsens has tested with his own AP unit.

HE1000 V1 vs V2 must measure under the same condition