Hifiman Edition 6 Headphones

mtoc

5 hours ago, dcpoor said:

Now he's comparing his treatment in that thread to the persecution and deaths from the Chinese cultural revolution. lol

He's totally nuts.

The dude needs help. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-small-business/wp/2016/09/16/gene-marks-21-percent-of-ceos-are-psychopaths-only-21-percent/?utm_term=.d380193c9429

The audiophile industry is definitely way above average, but even then 21 percent seems a bit low. Mylan, Wells Fargo, Theranos... the list of massive scandals goes on and on. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NoFeedback said:

Double sided sword here, Grado can do whatever he wants and charge +1000usd for SR-60 with bigger pads and chrome, but Hifiman not?

Sorry that's not correct, both brands are pure bs.

Measurements says exactly opposite of what you say, so do people with experienced ears. Who the fuck are you to tell the thing I quote? And I've not seen grado shitting headphones the way Dr. asshole shits. I call Dr. Fangs R&D and marketing policy this: excessive diarrhea.

31 minutes ago, swt61 said:

What is up with the flood of assholes that have come trolling recently? 

I'm gonna build a wall and make Head-Fi pay for it.

Steve as you well know Headfi sends their drug dealers, murderers and rapists... oh and some good people 

how I wish we had a deportation force to send the wankers back over the wall/fence to HF 

Edited by jp11801
  • Like 5

Looks like Fang finally crossed the line, and a lot of the negativity surrounding headphone pricing in general has been heaped onto him, and his attempts to defuse the situation only made things worse. Certainly his awkward English didn't help. I almost feel sorry for the guy - almost, since he's undoubtedly guilty of price gouging, but then so is the whole bloody industry.

I think the worse step for the industry would be intentionally compromising their less expensive models so that they don't undercut the performance of their higher-end models. I'm sure manufacturers would like a world in which all product niches are stratified and all good-sounding headphones are really expensive (kind of what the German car industry does). If that happens, and price/performance anomalies like the HD600/650 or KSC75 are discontinued, the hobby will truly be dead to a lot of enthusiasts. Quite frankly, it is that scenario that scares me, not the idea that somewhere out there somebody's making underengineered, underperforming $6k headphones.

Maybe it's pointless worrying. This market isn't an oligarchy like the car industry and if somebody discontinues outstanding value headphones, somebody else will see an opportunity. Maybe this current Fang thing is just the market normalizing its concept of value. Maybe these headphones will fail, and so will he. But then I look at some of my posts from 2007 warning of exactly this and think "who the fuck is this idiot I don't want to say I told you so... but I did."

In other news, I rather like the L700.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tachikoma said:

if he was more fluent in English, people would see him more clearly for the flaming asshole he is. When someone asked him whether the "HE-6" would be $2000 better than the SR-009, he said that his product wouldn't have to be returned for repairs as often, at least.

The pot calling the kettle black, right ?

Ali

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Oh, post a link, please, I would love to see a Google translate of some Chinese flaming.

please, don't waste your time. Feng always concluded in local forums that Chinese should support Chinese made products. He think a gang of American born Chinese hate him and posts on the other place are intentionally to attack him and his brand. And because other products like HE1 are super expansive and SRL is even better so the price tag is soooo reasonable. 

• Like 6

But..but..it's so much to fun to watch a train wreck like this.  :)  Fang is like a small spoiled child that goes completely over the top if things don't go exactly as he wants.  I think we need to buy some of his products just to rip them apart and piss him off. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, spritzer said:

But..but..it's so much to fun to watch a train wreck like this.  :)  Fang is like a small spoiled child that goes completely over the top if things don't go exactly as he wants.  I think we need to buy some of his products just to rip them apart and piss him off. 

Brings back fond memories of your ripping apart the pile of crap that was the HE audio Jade :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Oh, post a link, please, I would love to see a Google translate of some Chinese flaming.

https://translate.google.com.hk/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=zh-TW&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.headphoneclub.com%2Fforum.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D504153%26page%3D7%23pid4210164&edit-text=

Nankai rice = Fang

Edited by Tachikoma
Ah right, forgot to mention that Fang's handle is Nankai Rice.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mypasswordis said:

Brings back fond memories of your ripping apart the pile of crap that was the HE audio Jade :D

Yeah...can't believe that was almost 10 years ago but I truly don't see how Fang could have moved from that steaming pile of shit to a 50K$ and for it not to be a steaming pile of shit as well...just much more expensive. 

I do feel kinda bad now that I turned down a slightly broken Jade for the price of shipping as it would be nice to have one in the museum, the sheer level of shit just has to be preserved  I mean there are plenty of headphones I don't like but for most it is a voicing issue or they fall flat in some crucial area.  With the Jade it was just so shockingly bad all around.  I mean I can't stand the Stax SR-507 but they do a lot of things right...the Jade just fails...  Fucked treble and bass, fucked midrange and fucked soundstage with the worst build quality ever.  The King Sound units are close behind but at least they are pretty cheap, at least the KS-H1. 

• Like 1