Hifiman Edition 6 Headphones

mtoc

Nahhh...I'm a pretty bad baker but he's pretty clearly very bothered how little I think of him.  :rolleyes:  Must be fun to have such thin skin... 

17 minutes ago, arnaud said:

There was talk of something mk2 becoming something mk3 but I personally don't see the Omega 2 getting the treatment this time if it was already tweaked behind the scenes (pads) per people claiming current production Z3 are good.

On the other hand, I recall Stax acknowledged the tiny SR003 could be more ergonomic so there's hope something is being done there.

But indeed, nobody has a clue what will get released or when...

arnaud

Yeah it will be interesting to see what they come up with but I'm not very hopeful as the recent stuff has all been pretty poor.  They are back on the brightness train and a lot of people don't like it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes, what a shit show that HF thread turned into.  But what do you expect from that forum?   Unlike the vast majority of the people there, I actually took some time to listen to the Edition 6 prototype at CES myself.  

Did it sound compelling, and have improvements over the HE-1000 v2?   Absolutely, Yes.   Is it going to be worth the $6K estimated MRSP?   Mostly likely not.  I think Fang is making a big mistake following the crazy pricing trend the headphone industry in general is adopting.  They're all going to price themselves out of business sooner than later.  HifiMan had a really good niche of innovative, high performance products that punched way above their price tag.  The compromise being build quality and QC.  But as the price is rising, build quality and QC are not catching up nearly as much as they should.  

Overall, the Shangri-La was much more compelling to me, sound quality-wise.  The Edition 6 has great potential, as I really liked the HE-6, but the price tag is simply asking too much IMO.  Especially when Mr. Speakers Estats are entering the scene soon.  I hope that Dan doesn't try to follow the trend of overpricing as well.

• Like 1

That is the easiest problem in the world to solve so yeah... I doubt that has caused any delays.  The combo of D/S gap plus the bias sets the efficiency.  The drive voltages naturally matter and so does the tension but D/S and bias matter the most. 

From what I've heard, the issue is creating drivers which are actually stable.  Nothing more than rumors on that but yeah...might be some truth to that. 

Wonder what material for the diaphragm will Dan be using. I do like his ear pads for the other planar headphones he currently manufactures as they have a good balance between seal, comfort (and not heating your ears up) and form.

Edited by DefQon