Online vinyl places?

recstar24

A - I was giving Ryan a hard time in a friendly way (hence the suggestion to go to the store 2 blocks from one of his favorite restaurants). B - call it what you will, but for me, vinyl is about experiencing music in a way that has been lost with digital and streaming. Slowing down listening is certainly one part of it, but so is being able to dig through record bins, talking to people at record stores, holding a large physical object with real cover art, etc.

• Like 4

I totally agree that flipping through record bins and checking out what other fans are buying is very satisfying. I always wished that someone like Amoeba had an attached coffee house.

I'm blessed with a wealth of local sources so most of the time I "buy local".

And even though I've been known to say that I refuse to buy albums from someone who has less than 3 visible body piercings, I have bought from Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct. I also buy from Bleep and Third Man Records every once in a while.

For the most part, all these guys are great at packing and shipping their records so IMHO, that's a non factor.

• Like 1

the various curated lp of the month clubs I was part of were interesting, but I stopped them because I couldn't keep up.  Even 1 new record a month is often too much.  But now I have a LOT of stuff to listen to now that I'm mostly living on my own in a strange town :)

• Like 2

Amazon.com

Local record shops are great for you old fucks, but for we whippersnappers looking for nostalgia, it's hundreds and hundreds of dollars (just ask @postjack,) or reissues. Going through bins is basically pointless for me, as the stuff we wanted was limited on vinyl, if at all, and mostly on CD/cassette.

At least we can get some Colin Approved music at your door by the time you get home on Tuesday.

**BRENT**

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grawk said:

for me vinyl's not about nostalgia, but about slowing down.  I don't want to slow down my shopping experience, I want to slow down my listening experience. 

This basically captures where I am at with this whole vinyl journey that is about to start.  It's less about nostalgia and it's definitely not about audiophile-ishness or sound quality, but more the listening process and experience.

With that said, today I was able to get away from the house a bit to check out a record store in downtown wheaton which is a very close suburb to where we are currently at.  Wheaton/Glen Ellyn is a more affluent suburb generally speaking and the prices this place was charging for their new stuff was reflective of that lol.  Even their used "vintage" stuff was somewhat outrageous, but I was able to score clean used copies of McCartney/Wings Speed of sound, Ringo's debut solo album, and Steely Dan's Gaucho for a few bucks.  Was able to check out quality on their listening station and make sure things weren't all warped or beat up, and they were super clean and quiet, but a few others I pulled were terrible lol.  I will say I did enjoy this process but it's something that I normally do not have the time or energy to do consistently.

I ended up going on soundstagedirect online and got me some new radiohead vinyl, moon shaped pool and Kid A (both were $10-$15 more expensive at the store, ouch) and a coldplay album for the wife (yeah I know).  

tl;dr I bought some vinyl!

True :) a decent record brush should do the trick, no?

8 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

Isn't the point of vinyl nostalgia to reconnect with the old way of doing things? Laurie's Planet of Sound is 2 blocks from Garcia's ...

http://chicagoist.com/2014/08/20/the_best_record_stores_in_chicago.php

Bookmarked! All those places look and sound great, I've been to Reckless before but that was a while ago.  And yes Garcias.