Technical Assistance/Advice Thread

mwl168

• 1 year later...

Need advice about safely powering up an all-transistor CD player that has not been powered up for many years. .

I have a Marantz SACD/CD player that has been sitting in its box for many years. Is it a good idea to use my variac, like the one in the picture below.  to gradually power it up? 

If so, what's the proper process? 

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 2.57.25 PM.png

Edited by mwl168

Not my field of expertise, but I would i imagine the start sequence is designed to start from full power, so if it was me I'd rather just flick the switch and see what happens as I would be worried that gradually ramping up voltage might leave parameters out of spec at the wrong time... But that's mostly a guess :).

Thanks MLA and Kevin for your help.

I got the player up and running yesterday first using the variac to slowly ramp-up. Later tested it without the variac and, fingers crossed, it's working fine so far. 

The device in question is a Marantz SA-1 SACD/CD player which uses linear power supply based on what I can see in the service manual. 

To expand on a long story made short, it powered up but was unresponsive when I first took it out of the box. After consulting with the service manual I dissembled the unit and found a blown fuse inside. Instead of the factory spec'ed 1A/250V slow-blow fuse, whoever last serviced the unit put in a fast-blow 2A/250V fuse. Which likely explains why it's blown upon turn-on. I replaced it with a proper slow-blow 1A/250V fuse. This is when I posted my question thinking I should play it safe given the age of the unit and suspecting why the last person serviced it put in an out-of-spec fuse.

By the way, this thing is beautifully built like a tank and getting to the fuses take some work. A few photos from the web and of the exact unit.  

It's wonderful sounding especially with the SACD.

sa-1(2).jpeg

SA-1 internal.JPG

SA-1 internal 2.JPG

sa-1.jpeg

Edited by mwl168
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

I’ve got a mostly-completed CCS project for a Stax T1S driver… I’m comfortable enough doing the soldering but not confident enough to adjust the variable resistors, and don’t really understand how to actually add it to the T1S itself. Could someone give me some detailed hand-holding assistance? I can share photos of the board as it is right now if it would help. (I don’t think this deserves its own thread but let me know if it should be.)