Mini Group Buy - Blue Hawaii PCB

mwl168

I and a few others have decided to get the new bipolar version of Blue Hawaii PCB made by PCBnet in US. I used PCBnet for the Carbon GB in 2015 (and other occasions). Their price is higher but we’ve had great experience with their board quality.

The boards will be 2mm thick and 4oz copper, green solder mask and white silkscreen in leaded finish. The cost of boards is $30 USD for a set (two PCBs) if we can get 15 sets made. You’ll need to add shipping from me to you for the total cost.

Kevin released this latest version of Blue Hawaii in early 2016. I worked with Kevin to trace the board and at least one headcaser has built one working amp with them. This version uses all current production parts except for the 2SK170/LSK389 JFET which are still relatively easy to source. Here is a high level summary of changes from earlier versions of the Blue Hawaii:

·         KSA1220A/KSC2690A replaces the 2SK216/2SJ79

·         10M90S/DN2540 cascoded CCS replaces the A1968 based CCS

·         PZTA06 (smd) replaces 2SC1815 and 2SC2240, PZTA56 replaces 2SA970

·         FQPF8N80C replaces 2SC3675 for the power supply of the third stage

Please PM me or respond to this post here if you are interested. We are already close to meeting the 15 sets quota needed. I plan to close this GB on 8pm CST on

Sunday 2/26 and submit the order to PCBnet on Monday 2/27.  If you are ready to commit you can also PayPal me at the PayPal ID below. Please remember to include

your HeadCase ID and shipping address (please don’t assume I have your shipping address - it’s buried in over one hundred entries in my PayPal account and not easy to

find :)).

EDIT: The LSK389 is still in production just more difficult to source.

PayPal ID.JPG

Edited by mwl168

8 hours ago, DefQon said:

Can we still use the 1968's in place for the CCS without any board modifications? I have a decent amount of 1968's with me.

Nope, can't be done on those boards.  You could do a second board for just the CCS but yeah... it would be a bit of work. 

4 hours ago, sbelyo said:

What PSU is needed for this?

I run my BH with a GRHV set up for 400 VDC rails. The BH will draw more current than the Carbon does especially on the B- side. The BH ultra mini PSU will work too but the GRHV is more accurate, quite a bit lower noise and has much lower drop-out voltage. I use a 300VAC transformer with 325vac secondaries which handles the job well.

I know there are others that run their BH with 450 VDC rails.

If there is enough interest I am happy to add the GRHV boards to the GB but, depending on the number of boards ordered, the cost per board may be quite high. 

Edited by mwl168

7 minutes ago, jose said:

If the cost is acceptable, I would be interested in two or three GRHV.

Are you interested in the dual version (B+/B-/Bias/LV all on one board) or the split version (B+/Bias on one board and B-/LV on a separate board)?

Edited by mwl168