Mini Group Buy - Blue Hawaii PCB

mwl168

Update:

1. MLA has gracefully volunteered to be the Europe "distributor" of this GB so I will ship all Europe-bound boards to MLA for him to relay to the individuals. thanks MLA!

2. Thanks to sbelyo for offering. I am happy to add the GRHV PS to the GB too. Please state your interest (number of boards, preference of split vs. dual boards) here. For these HV applications I recommend we use 2mm thick boards. I'll get a preliminary quotes from PCBnet and share the information here. We will likely need to extend the GB for a few days longer. Hope that's not a problem for you all. 

The BH board measures 5.6" x 4.5" (143mm x 115mm).

The transistors are meant to be mounted off-board so if using an angle you'll need to add on to the 4.5"/115mm dimension.

Like the Grounded Grid and T2, the tubes are meant to be mounted on the back side of the boards. Possibly a few others parts (LED, trimpots) too for ease of adjustment.

It does not look like we have enough interest in GRHV to support a GB. We will follow the original plan to close this GB today and I'll submit order Monday.

Here is a list of the participants and the number of sets (2 boards per set). Please correct me if I missed something. The * indicates that the participant has PayPal'ed me the cost for the boards.  

jose* 2 

Kevin Gilmore 1

gwrskien* 2

PICaudio* 3

Sr Marques* 2

gepardcv* 2

MLA* 1

chinsettawaong* 1

chiguy 1

MattN* 1

Edited by mwl168

59 minutes ago, nopants said:

the board cost will be minuscule compared to the rest right?

I guess gwrskien has a point as some fab houses do charge extra going for more oz ... however, in rgrds to PCBNet it doesn't really make much difference.
For re-work abuse 2oz is usually fine - 1oz typically cannot handle much abuse .
@nopants in comparison to how much green we are speding on components, chassis and so forth, I agree ...doesn't really matter much

I can confirm that the 2 oz and 3 oz copper option is not a big factor in PCBnet pricing - in this case, it really comes down to the number of boards. It is also true that for other fab house (such as Seeed) the copper weight affects cost greatly. I don't know why.

I can price out the GRHV boards at Seeed if people are interested. 

And yes, the PCB board is really a small % of investment compares to the parts and chassis, etc..  

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:20 AM, mwl168 said:

It does not look like we have enough interest in GRHV to support a GB. We will follow the original plan to close this GB today and I'll submit order Monday.

Here is a list of the participants and the number of sets (2 boards per set). Please correct me if I missed something. The * indicates that the participant has PayPal'ed me the cost for the boards.  

jose* 2 

Kevin Gilmore 1

gwrskien* 2

PICaudio* 3

Sr Marques* 2

gepardcv* 2

MLA* 1

chinsettawaong* 1

chiguy 1

MattN* 1

Uh, per the first post - the original plan to close the GB is 2/26, is NEXT Sunday.

For re-work abuse 2oz is usually fine - 1oz typically cannot handle much abuse .

I've never had problems reworking 1oz boards (several cycles) if they are quality fab boards. 2oz is probably better though I don't know if 2oz is bonded to the substrate any better than 1oz is. I guess the additional copper must have some effect. Today's boards are a far cry from some of the '80s shit, where traces would lift if you looked cross-eyed at them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, nopants said:

the group buy is closed? i was on the fence but i read it was open until 2/26?

My bad. I meant to close the GB in one week but I read the Calendar wrong. 2/26 it is. 

GB is reopened. 

I like to use heavier copper on PCB like the BH board with tube filament traces that carry higher current.