Blue Hawaii BJT Build thread

joehpj

1 hour ago, mypasswordis said:

Uh oh, I see GeorgeP is crazy enough to want to set up another T2 run... are there going to be some CCS modifications to the board? :D 

Yeah, starting to have second thoughts as a couple interested people have already gone silent... but I am an optimist...

And if there are any changes, pleeeeease keep the tube and transistor spacing the same - that said, I am good with the status quo.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 2:52 AM, sorenb said:

I am not aquinted with the work of Gary Pimm, and as you stated, his website is no longer up.

Not really, Jungs measurement shows deterioation above 1kHz - Jung even mention this in his text.

Still, the cascoded fets demonstrate higher impedance in comparison to their bjt counterparts. - but seems to lack in linearity.

You're correct, I was away from home when I wrote that.  Pimm's measurements also show some deterioration above 1 kHz, but so does his measurement of a 2G resistor.

In any case, Pimm did have some more complex current sources which exhibited even better test results than a cascoded MOSFET current source.  I never claimed that a cascode MOSFET was the ultimate, but it does give excellent performance for a minimum in parts cost.  The downside is the need to adjust individually, whereas a BJT current source that uses the on-voltage of a transistor or LED is pretty much set and forget.  Pros and cons.

Edited by JimL

3 minutes ago, JimL said:

It's true that Jung's measurements appear to show deterioration above 1 kHz, however you will note that his test limit also deteriorates above 1 kHz so it's not clear whether that change is real or due to his coming up against the test limits.

I guess Jung is aware of the limitations of his test setup. Anyways, you brought up the results to support your claim - which it really doesn't.

4 minutes ago, JimL said:

In any case, Pimm did have some more complex current sources which exhibited even better test results than a cascoded MOSFET current source.  

Well, the Pimm web-site isn't up anymore, so it is kind of hard to discuss.

5 minutes ago, JimL said:

I never claimed that a cascode MOSFET was the ultimate, 

never said you did. 

6 minutes ago, JimL said:

it does give excellent performance for a minimum in parts cost

Agree.

7 minutes ago, JimL said:

The downside is the need to adjust individually, whereas a BJT current source that uses the on-voltage of a transistor or LED is pretty much set and forget.  Pros and cons.

Don't consider it a downside as such.

I guess it depends on what ever you consider "good", "best" or "ultimate" ... as far as I have experience the various CSS all deteriorates at some point, some earlier(lower frequency) than others. I guess that is caused by the output capacity of the device(s) used. In that area the fet's doesn't really excel.

Corrected comment above.  However, note that in Pimm's measurements as posted by laowei, the 2 gigohm resistor impedance also deteriorates above 1 kHz.  Actually, if you figure out the effective capacitance where the deterioration occurs, it is on the order of a few pf, which is more than acceptable, considering that the capacitance of the headphone is about 100 pf.  The added load on the active device is negligible.  The BJT may appear to be more linear because its impedance is significantly lower.  Remember, if the overall impedance is 10-fold lower, but the effective capacitance is the same, you won't see the deterioration until 10-fold higher frequency.

For electrostatic headphone amps, I prefer the higher impedance because the capacitative part of the headphone impedance is so high.  This pushes more of the signal current to the headphones.

Edited by JimL

47 minutes ago, JimL said:

Corrected comment above.  However, note that in Pimm's measurements as posted by laowei, the 2 gigohm resistor impedance also deteriorates above 1 kHz.  Actually, if you figure out the effective capacitance where the deterioration occurs, it is on the order of a few pf, which is more than acceptable, considering that the capacitance of the headphone is about 100 pf.  The added load on the active device is negligible.  The BJT may appear to be more linear because its impedance is significantly lower.  Remember, if the overall impedance is 10-fold lower, but the effective capacitance is the same, you won't see the deterioration until 10-fold higher frequency.

Well, that is a good point - after reading you post, I did sim the T2 CSS against the 10m90/DN2540 depletion, and although the T2 comes out with a lower impedance in comparison, it maintains it well above 20kHz as oppose to the depletion cascode ...I assume it is not only a question about doing well at DC, but also how well across the entire range 

By the way, I agree with you that a single MOSFET current source doesn't have a very good input capacitance.  The real question is, is the BJT capacitance less than, equal to, or greater than the MOSFET capacitance.  As a single device I would bet the BJT is better, but when cascoded, I don't know.  The cascoding definitely minimizes the effective input capacitance.

Edited by JimL

I’ve been using the cascaded CCS in T2 since December 2014. It’s my favorite CCS, also used in Blue Hawaii and other amplifiers. Kevin’s idea using DC/DC converter with the T2 CCS is appealing. So I removed unnecessary components and put in 9 volts cells.

_MG_1586.thumb.JPG.1bf23b2bdaac98ef5404132b9a2188d8.JPG

It works (why shouldn’t it?). Personally I prefer cascaded CCS but if there is a nice way to introduce DC/DC converters I might reconsider. Battery cells is not very convenient.

• Like 3