joehpj

Blue Hawaii BJT Build thread

Well done Pars - although a hole in the skirt is not very bright on its own. 

(I'm a bit paranoid about a Chinese clone coming out next week, ref. earlier discussion.)

Edited by headinclouds
add brackets

1 hour ago, headinclouds said:

Well done Pars - although a hole in the skirt is not very bright on its own. 

(I'm a bit paranoid about a Chinese clone coming out next week, ref. earlier discussion.)

I feel that my question will choke you. I was just curious

I haven´t  intention of setting up a production chain in China.
:D

It's finally done.

image.png.bd0f769256a4eb7878e5e63d23518ba9.png

Negative GRHV output resistor changed to 3.3R. 170D was substituted with ROHM in GRHV. 

image.thumb.png.675bd0bb07f61c449930ccf4d908a312.png

image.thumb.png.c6715810b64dc9517badf6c8f3b23de5.png

As for sound. In Brief, the BH sits between Carbon and GG.

Edited by joehpj
  • Like 10

Not really. I think GG has better vocal while Carbon has better both ends extension and a little bit wider soundstage. BH sits between them.

Edited by joehpj

I'd like to chip in here. On different tracks I sometimes had a slight preference for the sound of the GG or the BH, but overall I had a slight preference for the sound of the BH.

This impression was pretty fairly arrived at as each amplifier had the same power supplies (all golden ref), wiring, volume attenuator and casework.  The GG did have  450v supplies and the BH 400v.  The volume was equalised as accurately as possible.

It was a wrench but I had to part with one of my babies as couldn't justify keeping both, so the GG has gone.  I did hear the new 009S with it and the combination was, on a short hearing, near perfect.

I have noticed after many builds of Kevin's designs my preference has been for the versions with tube OP stages.

Edited by headinclouds
  • Like 4

Hard for me to say that I prefer one of my amps over another in general.  Depends on what I am listening to.  I tend to use the BH BJT the most, following by about equal usage of my Carbon and my SRX-Plus.  But just as with children, I would never part with any of them!  SRX-Plus remains my 'most admired' amp because 1) it was my first build, and 2) it is such a simple design yet sounds amazing.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, headinclouds said:

I'd like to chip in here. On different tracks I sometimes had a slight preference for the sound of the GG or the BH, but overall I had a slight preference for the sound of the BH.

This impression was pretty fairly arrived at as each amplifier had the same power supplies (all golden ref), wiring, volume attenuator and casework.  The GG did have  450v supplies and the BH 400v.  The volume was equalised as accurately as possible.

It was a wrench but I had to part with one of my babies as couldn't justify keeping both, so the GG has gone.  I did hear the new 009S with it and the combination was, on a short hearing, near perfect.

I have noticed after many builds of Kevin's designs my preference has been for the versions with tube OP stages.

My personal experience matches headinclouds' . All my amps (GG, BH, Carbon, KGSSHV, CFA) are all powered by the exact same PSU (Golden Ref. HV and LV). 

I have not listened to my BH for some time. Going by memory, I may have a difficult time picking a favorite between my tweaked Megatron with the right tubes and the BH.  Like Geoff said, sometimes it's the right horse for the right track!

PS. Forgot to mention, my BH is the version with the FET not the BJT but has the updated cascoded CCS. Don't know if it matters much sound wise.

Edited by mwl168

I was thinking about this and I really do not have any favorites. I tend to use combinations that I think work very well, for example the KGST-L700, SRX-Lambda, BH / GG-007 … Carbon is my "precision measuring instrument"

Now I'm using the Megatron a lot for the valves  but I really enjoy it with anyone.

I agree with Geoff.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, joehpj said:

Not really. I think GG has better vocal while Carbon has better both ends extension and a little bit wider soundstage. BH sits between them.

agree agree

Hi, im planning t build a blue hawaii using kgbhver6sbipolar amp boards which has constant current and the kgsshvpssicfetdual2new power supply - which does not have delayed start but I will make my own...

I am trying to get a reasonably definitive answer (if any exists) on the transformer specification...

the power supply board and amp baords say on the silkscreen

2x 6V 4A for the heaters, I purpose 2x 6.3V 4.5A for the transformer

18-0-18V for the low voltage I purpose 0.2A.... is thie going to be sufficent???

2x 360V  for the high voltage. It has been suggested to me that if I am going to run at +-400V DC then 330V is fine for the transformer... so I purpose 330V 0.3A is this going to be sufficent?

regards and thank you

james