Iphone help needed

I've just replaced my old Iphone 5 battery because the original one was below 65% capacity. I purchased it from iFixit, which is supposed to be good quality, they have an EU store. The replacement process went pretty much forward and flawlessly until I switched the iPhone on. It wouldn't light up. I thought the battery could be empty, so I plugged it into the charger, then the "connect into iTunes" logo appeared:

iphone6-ios10-recovery-mode-screen.jpg

I plugged the iPhone into the MBP, started iTunes, it asked if I wanted to restore factory default or update. I chose update the first time. The thing is now giving some error and won't either update nor restore to factory default. I've repeated the sequence a few times, but it won't work.

I know the battery is working because after unplugging the iPhone from the computer it holds the screen light with the "plug into iTunes" logo on, but once it disappears, the iPhone isn't responding to any buttons combination I push. It only reactivates when I plug it into the charger or the laptop, and just shows the USB>iTunes logo.

I've checked Apple's site for support, I'm on El Capitan (10.11.16 OSX) which is a later version than the minimum that could be required, and my iTunes software is the last version, no updates available. I don't get any error code number, iTunes just says that there's some problem and that the iPhone needs either updating or to be restored.

Any suggestions of what to try before reopening and putting back the old battery? Do you think using this software http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com/iphone-stuck-in-recovery-mode.html could be safe and useful? I don't have references and I'm afraid it could be some sort of spy software, besides I'm not sure I'd have to pay at some point. 

Edited by Torpedo

from ifixit:

FIXED! Changed the battery and got stuck in boot loop, after an all day battle some praying and research turned up the screws on the lcd display / sound ribbon cover are very specific in length on each corner, if you put the long screw in the short screw hole (.1mm diff lol) or over tighten them they will tap into the board below and cause the phone not to boot up.

Thank you Dan, but I don't think that's the issue, I not even removed the screen from the telephone body to replace the battery. Just opened it, removed the plate protecting the battery plug, changed the battery and screwed back the two tiny screws. One of them has a conic head, the other one a flat one, and I checked those when mounting it back.

Meanwhile, I decided to install the old battery back. It didn't work, the loop kept happening. Then I found a comment at some Apple forum that a guy having the same problem, decided to unplug the iPhone from iTunes after the firmware reinstall, but before the reboot, which worked for him. I tried that, and the iPhone showed that "Hola, Hello..." screen, asking me to push the home button to start. But the home button didn't seem to work at all. Then I remembered that the home button at times didn't work but some insistence was enough. Not this time. Since then I've reopened the damn thing like other three or four times, first to put in the new battery and check the home button. Everything seems to be fine. I get the iphone to show the "Hello" screen every time I plug it into the MBP and iTunes and make an update, then unplugging before the reboot, but it seems to be the button not working, so I've ordered a new button, not the external plastic knob, but the internal cable with the clicking sensor. We'll see, it should arrive in about one week.

At this moment I have no cell phone. Since I'm on holidays for this Easter celebration, I really don't care that much. I've decided that if this doesn't solve the issue, I may get a new cell, or perhaps not having one >:D

Yes it is :) I get a lot of juice from my cell phones, I'm not a heavy user. Since 1996 that I got my first cellular, which was a gift from an uncle, the iPhone 5 has been my 4th cellular and my first smartphone.This was the first battery change on that iPhone, it's been keeping good battery capacity for almost four years.

I would suggest taking it to a phone repair place, if you have one nearby.  I think it likely needs a board replacement (and maybe a new home button), but that will be a lot less money than a new phone.  The nice thing about having such an old phone is that you won't have to worry about also replacing a Touch ID sensor.

I received today the spare home button circuit-cable and replaced it. It still doesn't work :( I get the thing to the point as if brand new asks for pushing the home button to start, but it won't respond. Funnily enough it recognises the SIM card, its code, and connects to the 4G network, but as soon as the rest mode kicks in, it's dead. One knows it's alive by pushing the mute button, so it would vibrate a couple of times. If connected to the computer, I've received a phone call, but once unplugged from the computer if I call that number I receive a telephone busy message from the network's answering machine.

At this point I'm thinking Apple produced some block to force me to take the iPhone to their store, then billing me for a silly simple fix so they can recoup what they lost for changing the batteries myself :indra:

Would you try an "independent" repair place (I have one a few blocks away) or would you take it to Apple?

I'll try to have it fixed, it can't be that broken, and the battery is brand new already.

i'm starting to consider getting a new 128GB. I like the looks and features of the 7, but I hate it not having a proper minijack audio output, so I find the SE very tempting, it's like 300 euros cheaper and the same size of the 5, which I love. My idea would be using it for music too, and retiring the iPod Touch, so I'd be thankful if someone had an opinion about the audio quality of the SE vs the 7 with that dongle.

4 minutes ago, grawk said:

an advantage to the SE is you can get the 7 sound quality by buying the lightning dongle :)

Yes, some people say it's a good solution for it has the closest to 0 Ohm output impedance among many portable players. I can do that over a fixed 5 too ;D

1 hour ago, shellylh said:

The battery on my 5 was also on its last life so I got the SE and it is a nice phone.  I like the size.  The sound quality on the SE is decent but I haven't compared it to the Touch or 7.  

Decent sounds like "good enough" to me. I can do decent when commuting to work, and if I found a large difference compared to the Touch, I still can use it at on-call shifts or vacation trips.

3 hours ago, grawk said:

No opinion on the sound quality, but the SE is a great phone.  I got my wife one last year.

I'm guessing with the issues you're having with the 5 it's related to Apple's security/parts authenticity checking.

That's my guess too. I'm fearing they want their fee for a battery replacement, so if you don't pay the 101 euros for a new battery, you gotta pay them to unlock the phone :indra:

I've found an official Apple approved place selling the SE like 80 euros cheaper than the Apple Store. With the savings I could have the 5 repaired :rofl:The SE is getting more votes so far.

5 minutes ago, Parbaked said:

Last month I upgraded my 5 when it's battery weakened to an SE. The SE is better in all ways. It's noticeably faster and has a much better camera and moar memory. 

Thanks. I can imagine the SE is better than the oldish 5. Do you know if there are rational reasons (not that it's the HC style) or some other kind of reasons to get the 7 instead of the SE?

the 7 and 7+ are faster (somewhat)

the 7+ has the dual camera (why I got it)

both have bigger screens

you get to buy all new accessories

moar

MOAR

MMOOAARR

seriously tho, if I hadn't already had a 6S+ I'd have an SE now.  Once I switched to the bigger screen, I couldn't go back.