Mr Speakers Electrostatic Ether E

complin

True!!  :lol: 

I do like their stator design and if they can manufacture them with solid quality control and in a clean room, they could be pretty good.  It would also make other manufacturers look at 'stats as a market they'd be willing to get into. 

It seems they are going with a different connector or possibly no connector. The new Ether E reminds me when wachara put his own electrostatic drivers into a Hifiman HE 500 enclosure.

I'm not a fan of the new pricing schemes as it will be around $4500AUD here in retailers if the headphone is $3000 in the States.

We need some good stats to fill the void of the $1300-$2500 bracket that will be competitive with the used O2 market.

Edited by DefQon

11 hours ago, gepardcv said:

Does this mean MrSpeakers gave up on the proprietary connector and went with Stax at 580V?

Last I heard they dropped that stupidity but I seriously doubt those connectors they use on the housings are rated at 1000V...  ^_^

For anyone in the DC area, after Axpona this weekend we'll have them indefinitely at LTA/Urban HiFi, and I'll bring them to any meets in the area.

Post-Axpona update: Dan needed the set for shows and will replace it with an earlier revision that is still useful to us in development, but I'll need to check about whether they would be a reliable demo pair. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Ether Stax hooked up to my KGST (well it actually belong to Muveling) for the whole event but I didn't get a chance to listen to it.  I know Matt spent a good bit of time comparing them to the SR009 on Justin's BHSE....so maybe he will share his thoughts.  Most people I talked to at my table actually prefer the SR007 more than the Ether Stats.  The room was loud though.

I got in some time with Ether Stat before the room got loud. First of all, I prefer the 007 to the 009 if that helps understand my preferences. The 007 and ES were actually somewhat similar. I preferred the ES for two reasons.

1. The sound stage width and depth was considerable better on ES. I was somewhat surprised at this. Possibly because I listened before the room got loud I was able to observe this difference more so. Once the room got noisy the cavernous sound stage of the ES seemed to get drowned out. 

2. I prefer the mids on ES, especially on the BH that Justin brought. I mostly listen to vocal centric music, jazz and modern folk/Americana. I was hearing voices that were more naturally rendered with lot's of detail. Breathing between notes, chesty guttural notes from deep in the chest. 

I still love the 007 and it remains my favorite production stat. I'm hoping that it can be improved on with something modern and at a friendly price point.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 9:02 PM, mattyice said:

I got in some time with Ether Stat before the room got loud. First of all, I prefer the 007 to the 009 if that helps understand my preferences. The 007 and ES were actually somewhat similar. I preferred the ES for two reasons.

1. The sound stage width and depth was considerable better on ES. I was somewhat surprised at this. Possibly because I listened before the room got loud I was able to observe this difference more so. Once the room got noisy the cavernous sound stage of the ES seemed to get drowned out. 

2. I prefer the mids on ES, especially on the BH that Justin brought. I mostly listen to vocal centric music, jazz and modern folk/Americana. I was hearing voices that were more naturally rendered with lot's of detail. Breathing between notes, chesty guttural notes from deep in the chest. 

I still love the 007 and it remains my favorite production stat. I'm hoping that it can be improved on with something modern and at a friendly price point.  

how much are these? want to buy a pair