Mr Speakers Electrostatic Ether E

complin

• 4 months later...

Oh boy....

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/high-end-audio-show-dazzles-the-eye-and-ear/18/?ftag=CAD767ae48&bhid=25929228263003360050844531033783

Sincerely hope they are WAY better than the protos I heard a good while back at a local meet.  Had to drive the heck out of them with my Carbon to get them to generate sound and then the sound bleeding into the room was A LOT.

HS

Dan has claimed they are using at least 0.6mm D/S spacing or even more so yeah, these won't be easy to drive at all.  Super low sensitivity doesn't match all that well with the "cheap" angle either.  If a Carbon can't drive them, what the hell can?  It has more power than any other amp out there...  I'm designing my own drivers and using 0.5mm spacers is dead simple.  To me they took the easy way out...

I do like the stator design and I will naturally tear one of these down and show how they are made.  That connector though...what the actual fuck?  Looks like a D25 shell and that's good for some reason? 

40 minutes ago, spritzer said:

I do like the stator design and I will naturally tear one of these down and show how they are made.  That connector though...what the actual fuck?  Looks like a D25 shell and that's good for some reason? 

What else can all us old farts who were in the computer industry do with our DB25 Serial connectors???!!!  We have to find SOME sucker to buy them.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The thing with Dan is he continues to improve on his craft and hopefully one day his stats will measure up to Stax.  I have listened to his Aeon Flow Open recently and it is much improved from the prototype and punch way above its asking price.  Hate to admit but I'm starting to become his fan.

I've always liked Dan, too, he's a great guy and quite the character (at a post-NY-meet dinner a few years, he was regaling us with some great Burning Man stories).

I think he makes very good products, and tries hard to keep improving.  And while this causes issues with older gear losing value, I do not put him in the same category as HiFi-Man, which seem to rush out lesser quality products, only to introduce rev 2's shortly thereafter to fix the issues (and again greatly devalue the first series).

I heard Dan's prototype Stat's at a NY meet, one driven by a BHSE, one by a Cavalli amp.  The Cavalli amp one sounded horrendous; closed-in, limited in frequency response, just kind of lifeless.  I discounted this, well because Cavalli.  The BHSE-driven phones sounded more promising, but it took a high turn of the volume to get it going.

I'll leave it to those who know the most to critique the products....but I DO like and respect the man, too.  And Purk, if he can compete with the Stax phones, especially without going all proprietary, I'm all for that!

• Like 1

Same here Todd.  I get to audition his E-Stats about a year back and it needed serious volume on the Carbon and BHSE as well.  Still, I think he may have resolved the issue since then.  I feel the same way about him with constant upgrade/updates to his headphones.   Dan's new Aeon Flow Open is seriously good and has come a long way from the prototype unit.  Everyone should really give it a try.  This particular model is efficient enough and sound very good out of my portable DAPs. 

One issue I hope they addressed was how much sound bled from the stats I tested with my Ygg / Carbon combo.  I didn't realize them until I handed them to the gent next to me how loud I must have been blasting the folks next to me.  It was literally like having a transistor radio playing.  Some bleed on open backed headphones is perfectly natural and acceptable, but this was bordering on ridiculous.

I can't speak to the man.  Sounds like a great guy.  I was simply focusing on the product.  

I will admit I struggle with all the fan boy crap on HF.  Way too much support without sound critical thought IMO, but hey...maybe I'm just an old, crusty hard ass...

HS

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well this is now the VOCE (what a stupid name) and here are the specs stolen from HF... 

We are pleased to introduce our newest headphone, VOCE! VOCE is Italian for voice (pronounced vo.t͡ʃe, though that may not be ultra-helpful).

VOCE is an electrostatic headphone designed to deliver uncompromising electrostatic resolution and clarity with bass output that extends deep into the subsonic. Very light and comfortable, with an extremely large soundstage and a neutral voicing VOCE is our most accurate headphone.

VOCE is designed and built in San Diego, CA and comes with the following innovative features:
· Super-large 88mm diaphragm for extended low frequency output
· 2.4 micron driver, optimized for stability and resolution
· Ultra-thin metal stators for superior sound
· MrSpeakers’ signature NiTinol memory metal headband for exceptional comfort, light weight and durability
· Detachable* custom fabricated silver-plated copper cable that is non-microphonic, round and super-supple, yet low capacitance
· Proprietary machined Teflon amplifier plug with machined aluminum housing, gold plated solid copper pins and a machined aluminum headphone connector**
· 580V “Pro-bias” compatible for use with any Stax-pro compatible amplifiers
· Italian Napa leather ear pads
· Vat-dyed US made leather headband

Proper storage of electrostatic headphone helps reduce service issues by reducing dust accumulation on the stators. Our attractive shipping box is designed to not only reduce packaging waste but to serve as a stylish and functional way to store a VOCE (or any) headphone.

Box features include:
· Real walnut hardwood
· Hinged clear acrylic front doors with magnetic fasteners
· A built-in integrated headphone stand
· A convenient front-slot for the cable so the headphones may be left plugged-in while stored

Pricing
VOCE is $2999.99 in the US.

A comment on this price to our friends and followers; we realize this is higher than we’d committed and for this I regret we said it’d be “well-under” $3000. The reality is essential changes to the stator design, higher than expected cost of the cable and custom plugs, and the enhanced storage and display case added too much to the cost to achieve our original price target. While our original thought was the headphone would be $2800 we hope you'll agree the benefits of improved sound, ergonomics and storage are well worth the incremental cost.

Availability
VOCE is a hand-made headphone and quantities will be limited. We will start taking orders January 1, 2018.

First US shipments are expected in February 2018 and orders can be placed on https://mrspeakers.com/ starting January 1, 2018. We will announce the US dealer-list prior to New Year’s Eve. Limited quantities will be available for the UK and Japan. Based on our ability to meet demand, we will expand into additional countries as quickly as we can.

*the detachable cable is for customer cable replacement for longer cables or 3rd party cables. It is not for daily/regular use
**Plugs and connector housings will be available to 3rd party cable companies to make VOCE compatible cables

Department of Eye Candy
(note: headphone has a dust screen not shown in these photos, and the cable plug will be finished to match the headphone)

Voce for Magazine-006 small.jpeg

Voce for Magazine-007 small.jpeg

VOCE Box:Stand Render.jpeg
(This is a render, obviously. We'll have a photo as soon as possible..)

Stat Plug.png

So a few notes...2.4um diaphragms??  Is this 1968 with this new fangled thickness?   Seriously what the fuck are they smoking.  Now I'm the last person to scream "thinner is better" but this thickness in a driver this big just screams for trouble and HF loss. 

Also, what's up with the box?  I take it the dust covers are seriously messed up to require this?  We'll see but this is not making me hopeful. 

Then we have that stupid plug on the headphones...my only reaction from day 1 was WHY??  So you can't buy a Fischer plug that actually works and isn't the size of a DB25?  This is so retarded... 

Ohhh yeah and "under 3k$ and definitely not 2999$"... Those are words to live by!!  ;) 

We are pleased to introduce our newest headphone, FOCE! FOCE is Italian for mouth (pronounced fo.t͡ʃe, though that may not be any help at all).

FOCE is an electrostatic headphone designed to deliver no electrostatic resolution and clarity with bass output that extends deep into the sonic mud. Very night and day performance, with an extremely loud soundbleed and a colorful voicing FOCE is our most articulate headphone that fills in all the missing sounds that should be there.

FOCE is designed and built in San Domingo, CA and comes with the following innocuous features:
· Super-large 888mm diaphragm for super-extended low frequency output
· 2.4 picron driver, randomized for style and revolution
· Ultra-thin metal stators for superior noise
· MrElectrostatics’ signature NiTro memory metal headband for more bang for your buck.
· Detachable* custom fabricated silver-plated copper cable that is non-sonic, obloid and super-supple, yet low capacity.
· Proprietary machined Teflon amplifier plug with machined unobtanium housing, brass plated solid copper pins and a machined zincalume headphone connector**
· 580V “Pro-bias” comparable for use with any Stax-like compromised amplifiers
· Italian Sicilian leather ear buds
· Vat-dried Mongolian made faux leather headband

Proper storage of electrostatic headphone helps reduce service issues by reducing dust accumulation on the stators. Our attractive shipping box is designed to not only reduce packaging waste but to serve as a stylish and functional way to prevent usage of a FOCE (or any) headphone.

Box features include:
· Real blackbutt hardwood
· Sealed clear acrylic front panel with frosted finish
· A built-in integrated headphone stand
· A convenient front-drawer for the cable so the headphones may be left sealed and stored

Pricing
FOCE is $29,999.99 in Argentina.

A comment on this price to our friends and followers; we realize this is vastly higher than we’d committed and for this I regret we said it’d be “well-under” $30,000. The reality is essential changes to the stator design, higher than expected cost of the project and custom plugs, and the enhanced storage and display case added too much to the cost to achieve our original price target. While our original thought was the headphone would be $28,000 we hope you'll agree the benefits of improved aesthetics, ergonomics and storage are well worth the monumental cost.

Availability
FOCE is a man-made headphone and quantities will be extremely limited. We will start taking orders January 1, 2048.

First US shipments are expected in February 2048 and orders can be placed on facebook starting January 1, 2038.

We will announce the US dealer-list prior to Groundhogs Day. Limited quantities will be available for Mozambique and Iceland. Based on our ability to get any early adopters, we will expand into additional countries as quickly as we can.

*the detachable cable is for show only or 3rd party cables. It is not for any audio use
**Plugs and connector housings will be available to 3rd party DIYers to make FOCE compatible cables

Department of Eye Candy
(note: headphone has a dust screen not shown in these photos, and the cable plug will be non-functional to match the headphone)

• Haha 3

Two other points (from Dan's post on Head-Fi):

1)  "Yes. There's a fine mesh dust screen under the outer "web.""

2)   "We have also taken steps to design this to be field service friendly, the driver is modular enough for field repairs to be a reasonable thing."

Point 2 means that it shouldn't be too hard to rip apart.

Point 1 could mean that ripping it apart periodically might be necessary. "Fine mesh" to me means dust permeable, unless the words mean something else that what I think they mean. Although they do say the box is to decrease dust accumulation on the stators, but they don't say anything about dust accumulation on the membrane, so maybe there is an impermeable dust cover underneath.

I'm also not too thrilled with the spider-web ear cups. Looks like an open invitation for small children to stick something sharp into the open holes, like a pen, pencil or screwdriver. And that's from someone who doesn't even have children.

Edited by JimL

I had hoped that the rather rough machined look was for ease of prototyping, and that the production model would look closer to the ether headphones. Display box is useless to me, a travel case would be far better imo.

While I can't vouch for the durability of their head band. I can say, to me, the ether style suspension bands are very comfortable.

Luckily I have a locking China cabinet that modified nicely to hold my gear, and my girls and their colored pencils will be unable to probe these.

On 26.12.2017 at 12:03 PM, spritzer said:

Nahhh it's still fugly as all shit.  Worse than that, the shell doesn't protect the fragile drivers which is kinda its main role...

Aww, but that's a subjective thing to say. I somewhat dig it, nowhere near as much as 009 though. Agreed on the shell.