Cheap Windows laptop

well the former laptop is shitty too. maybe not as shitty. it was a cheap "thinkpad" around $500-600 i think when i got it included with a laser engraver in 2011. 

i will say it has successfully survived being completely coated in powder coating and aluminum dust

Edited by justin

That laptop has 2 GB(!) only of RAM and eMMC as hard drive, which is better than spinning HD but not nearly as fast as good solid state drive.  

Unless there's some real good reason, I am all for spending the $200 on that Core 2 Duo 2008-2010 model in the form of more RAM and decent solid state drive, which is cheap these days.  In fact, that's what I did to my Core 2 Duo laptop, and it's still going strong and fast, running Photoshop, etc no problem.  Granted, it's not as fast as my i7 processor laptop with more RAM/solid state drive, but that's expected..

Seems like a lateral move.  And yeah, I wouldn't assume nuthin' about being able to drive a 2560x1600 monitor.  What monitor?  When I got my first powerful monitor about 10 years ago, I did have to get a special video card to drive it (Dual DVI or sumpin').  

EDIT:  It actually says right on the page:

HDMI connection: Connect your laptop to an external monitor or big-screen TV to view content in stunning FHD / 1080p resolution.

But it does say it has an HDMI connection -- which, if older, single-link, can only do 1920x1200, which is still more than they're saying -- the 1.4 spec should be a lot more than that, plenty to handle 2560x1600 -- just not how current it is.  So look for "hdmi 1.4".  Or the equivalent DVI connection.  Assuming your monitor has both.  If not, whichever one your monitor has.

But boy howdy, it shore is blue.