Stax SR-40

sbelyo

You should be able to use it with any electrostatic amp.  Dr. Gilmore has suggested that you keep the level down in electret phones to below 200 volts, but that is still pretty loud.  The jack is wired exactly the same as with the standard Stax phones, but the bias pin is not connected to anything.

Edited by JimL

That's what I was thinking when I saw them come up.  Since I'm going to start building the electrostat stuff I needed a set of test cans.  I just couldn't see hooking up a new pair of stax only to blow them up.  Definitely easier to swallow $70 vs $400 or more

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The SR-40 is an electric model and needs no bias voltage. Since the one you sawing comes with the SRD-4, all you would need is a power amp/integrated amp/receiver and then you would hook up the SRD-4 to speaker outputs. The SR-40 would too work with any of the Stax amps. I have SR-80 and they have a very nice midrange, but are missing in bass and treble compared to best gaming headsets. I wouldn't pay more than $75 for them, and only if in excellent condition.