DIY Stax SRM-T2 Chassis Group Buy

GeorgeP

Thought it might make sense to make a new thread on this so as not to pollute the T2 thread. So this would be limited to the chassis, any potential board run, and any other potential group buys for traffos or transistors (if numbers warrant).  I am hoping to move forward by the end of the week. Please keep in mind, if you are in and make your deposit, you are committed and will not back out unless you find someone to take your spot (so if you are not well established, then paypal gift only). Please express interest here or by PM.

I have also included a link to the results of the first group buy:

• Like 1

Probably a bit confusing, but the cost is set out in the April 23rd post quoted above. Total cost for the chassis with brackets is $1550 USD, plus shipping. The chassis set weighs about 30lbs. I was waiting for one other downpayment before confirming the order with the shop, so let me know in the next day or so.

Yes, not for the faint of heart as these are north American prices with everything made to order locally. And at nearly the same cost as Kevin's chassis run from 2010 I think we are doing pretty good price wise.

Will probably post something at some point later on regarding transformers.

No, there are no posted drawings. Also the heatsinks are made from a custom die and are extruded in 12ft lengths with a minimum order of 4 lengths.

If you want to build your own, get four heatsinks at just over 16" in length (3u) and then cut and machine to rest to line up. Shouldn't be difficult if you have the equipment and know-how.

So it starts like this (but the front and back plates have a lip built in that lines up with the heatsinks):

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_WP_20150510_003_jpg_9994f21b2d333ebe5f9843178ae9871f.jpg

I will be closing the group buy this weekend and firming everything up with the shop on Monday. Thereafter communication regarding the chassis buy will be via pm/email given the small numbers.

If anyone else not involved in the group buy is interested in boards or traffos (I know Marc has already voiced some interest), let me know.

I used 425VAC, 270VAC & 70VAC for the negative rails, and yes I dropped the 75VAC (not used anyway) on the second transformer, which is 425VAC and 235VAC.  I'm using the doubler for the bias so I could get away with lower HV on the positive rail.

On the LV I added the 8VAC so I could power the digital attenuator which needs 5VDC.

I'll probably need different from most, but thought I'd enquire anyway.

From what I recall from Paul (TEC), the savings lies in using the same core (assuming the volume is sufficient). PM me your specs. For reference, SumR on the left and TEC on the right (had this swapped - too sleepy with all the rain we've been getting):

transformers.jpg

Edited by GeorgeP