The State of DACSES

Can the Lumin Shills tell me if it has HP out?  I think you guys are all using HP amps, correct?

Also, have the shills connected it to a speaker system?  Good enough volume control to act as a preamp for a basic system I presume?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, VPI said:

Can the Lumin Shills tell me if it has HP out?  I think you guys are all using HP amps, correct?

Also, have the shills connected it to a speaker system?  Good enough volume control to act as a preamp for a basic system I presume?

Mike has his connected to speakers but uses a preamp I believe. I have the T2 connected to the GSX-mini (ridiculously good). No headphone out on the Lumin and both Mike and I use it with Roon. If you buy reach out for the dealer we used

I would not use the digital volume as a preamp but I'm superstitious about using digital volume past a certain point.

• Like 1

The Brooklyn DAC+/Bridge has a very good HP out that you can use single ended or balanced. You do need an adapter for balanced, but that just gives the opportunity to buy more shit. I do want to hook it to the GSX when it returns.

You also have the option to use the volume as analog, digital or true bypass. I guess I’m a Mytek shill.

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jp11801 said:

Lumin just added LeedH volume control and they now state you can use the T2 volume control in place of a pre

I've gotten feedback from some people that the LeedH volume control is better than their preamp volume control, even via the Lumin digital output into a DAC. (I haven't tried that comparison yet.) And it's definitely better than the previous Lumin volume control algorithm.

• Like 1

Got the Brooklyn Bridge this afternoon.  Still have a ton to figure out, but just listening to HiRes via Qobuz on old Emotiva power monitors I would say it is a hell of a DAC.  Shilling will begin soon with an unboxing video.  Stay tuned.

• Like 14

Nice!

Pro Tip: If you have it attached via USB to a computer the Mytek Control Panel makes it much easier to change settings and do firmware upgrades. I use network streaming on mine for music playback but I have the Mac-mini attached via USB so I can use the control panel.

• Like 1

I have the software on the computer.  Need to check the firmware version.

Also need to figure out how to use it as a streamer besides using Roon, which is the same damn thing as using USB since they are on the same computer.

Both Ethernet and WiFi can do up to 24/192 PCM and DSD64.  I am pretty sure I've played some DSD128 tracks on mine in the past, maybe it downsamples (?).  EDIT: I think Roon will downsample unsupported formats.....still sounds great.

Edited by skullguise

38 minutes ago, VPI said:

I must have a settings issue. Every time I try to play DSD I get a device cannot be initiated or some shit. 

What software are you using? I can definitely play 24/192 PCM and DSD 64 directly to the Mytek over my network using Roon.