How do those two-play together Kerry? Keep hearing about Roon but I get, like, five pages deep into their Web site and give up, because I still can't really see what it does if you don't have terabytes of audio files on a NAS.

Ayre QX-5 Twenty streams TIDAL, Deezer and Spotify, is "Roon ready" and has balanced, remote switchable headphone output. Hmmm.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hopstretch said:

Ayre QX-5 Twenty streams TIDAL, Deezer and Spotify, is "Roon ready" and has balanced, remote switchable headphone output. Hmmm.

Right back where you started. 

• Like 2

The Oppo 205 does almost all those things at a fraction of the price...

1 hour ago, TMoney said:

... at a fraction of the price.

Do you realize that you just talked him out of that option? :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, swt61 said:

Do you realize that you just talked him out of that option? :P

Oh, I know, Steve. Mind games 😉

14 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

Good info. Doesn't come in silver though, I don't think?

I think you can get a Lexicon in silver ...

• Haha 1

I just heard the Holo Audio Spring DAC and it's definitely the real deal. I'm just not sure which version it is because the unit doesn't have the Kitsune branding and the owner said that he bought it from HK. 

Overall performance is in the same ballpark as the Schiit Yggdrasil but is less aggressive and has a sweeter tone. The DAC seems to "enhance" human vocal and I happen to like the colouration but YMMV. The Holo is definitely nice if you have a somewhat bright system and wants to tune it down. 

• Like 1

Roon is indispensable, Stretch.  Even on my budget, definitely on yours.  Pair it with Tidal for content if you don't see the value in organizing your local library.

What it brings to the table is a charming interface and world class metadata curation.  If you are an active music listener and like reading album reviews, looking at art, browsing artists who influenced whatever you're listening to, etc. you can't pass it up.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:16 AM, Hopstretch said:

How do those two-play together Kerry? Keep hearing about Roon but I get, like, five pages deep into their Web site and give up, because I still can't really see what it does if you don't have terabytes of audio files on a NAS.

Roon integrates natively with Tidal.  It's very seamless and easy to get working.