The Monkey

The State of DACSES

the Mytek Brooklyn plus I had did 24/192 and dsd without issue via usb 

also their MQA implementation is wacky, if you have it enabled it fucks with the sound of non-mqa tracks so you need to enable it to play mqa then disable it to play normal shit. 

I did get used to the rotary dial and push button menu to change settings after a couple of days. Great sounding device and I thought the phono pre was very good for an included extra and you'd have to spend $1k to better it.

Edited by jp11801
random additional thoughts
  • Like 1

On a Mac you should be able to do 24/192 (USB 2.0 Class 2). On Windows you can only do 24/96 (USB 2.0 Class 1) with the default driver. I agree with John about MQA, most of the time I have it disabled. I can do DSD 64 but I have nothing higher to test.

Edited by morphsci

I have no problem with playing HiRes via USB, just trying to stream DSD from the NAS I get a weird message.  I am sure it is just a setting I have wrong.  

image.png.9c01a3797954007e4a671a7e3ec66ed6.png

Very good information on the MQA.  Never bother with Tidal these days so I will definitely turn that off.

Edited by VPI

Jeff I used a self built Roon NUC that ran a modified version of Linux. I’m not very technical and was able to build out a fabless Roon nucleus knock off. It did take about 2 hours and a little patience. 

I saw you reference that previously.  I have it running on the desktop now, streaming music from the NAS, as Roon was not stable running on the actual NAS.  Building something that is less likely to fight with Windows may be a good idea.  Roon sees 3-4 versions of the Mytek as potential devices (Mytek Wasapi/Asio, Brookly (sp) Bridge and one other).  Each version has different capabilities when it comes to HiRes, just need to pick the right one.

Just be careful if you're looking to use Roon Rock as the OS, it's apparently not "certified" on some of the newer NUC's.  While it may be just testing is needed, some conspiracy-oriented folks think it may not install/run at all, and Roon is limiting it because they are selling their Nucleus servers and don't want to undercut them.

I have it on a core i5 NUC 7th gen and it's running just lovely.

KB article: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VPI said:

I saw you reference that previously.  I have it running on the desktop now, streaming music from the NAS, as Roon was not stable running on the actual NAS.  Building something that is less likely to fight with Windows may be a good idea.  Roon sees 3-4 versions of the Mytek as potential devices (Mytek Wasapi/Asio, Brookly (sp) Bridge and one other).  Each version has different capabilities when it comes to HiRes, just need to pick the right one.

I did not realize you were running Roon on a NAS. I tried that earlier and that was what gave me my initial shitty opinion of Roon. I now run Roon Server on a dedicated Mac mini. Even though it does not have the dedicated, unbloated Roon OS, it has run perfectly for me. It is a fairly capable Mac

1785102131_Image6-19-20at12_04PM.png.2de55494accfdf9b35e9873245650889.png

and it is usually the only thing running on there, I really don't even run the "remote" app on there. If I am going to have a computer appliance that costs more than a couple of hundred dollars I would prefer it to be more than a single-use device. So until this starts having problems I am pretty happy.

I have Roon on the workstation now, the music is on the NAS.  Works fine.  Turns out you have to pick the right Mytek to get either DSD or MQA to play from Roon.  Listening to Young Americans in 24/192 MQA at the moment on the bass monster Spirit Torinos.

• Like 4

I like it a lot.  For the size and (relatively low) price, it performs quite admirably.

My current reference is a custom all-in-one unit using the Purifi amp modules (this is a new company started by the gent who created the Hypex and NCore designs).  The manufacturer of this custom unit - Mivera Audio - puts his own input buffers in front of the Purifi modules, and then adds a DAC and a lightning dock.  It uses an iPhone as a streamer/Roon endpoint, and has some of the best sound I've heard; the transparency is eerie at times.

The Brooklyn amp gets me a pretty high % of that sound, actually excavating deeper in the bass.  Compared to the Mivera, the transparency is a bit less, resulting in a slightly larger/bit more diffuse sound - the Mivera is just SO precise in image and instrument placement.  But this is a pretty close second place to that.  I also need to do some comparisons to a heavily-modded EVS dual-mono ICE-Edge amp, which is also right up there based on memory.

Tonally, no complaints, it seems very well-balanced.  The deep bass is not overdone, so it doesn't take over.  And the highs seem very extended and smooth without any glare (caveat: my age is getting up there, and my hearing above ~16kHz has been degrading over time).

So overall a very nice amp, really love the small form factor and how much is there for the size and price.

• Thanks 1