I'd like to buy a smoker.

Hopstretch

Seems like everyone is chasing the holy grail of the single box that can do everything (pretty) well. So you get smokers-that-can-also-grill (like Traeger/MAK) and grills-that-can-also-smoke (like Memphis). And apparently you need to be able to log into the grill remotely from the golf course to see how your meat is coming along ...

• Like 2

I may be a total newb to this but I'm always leery of the "one size fits none" conundrum.  If you want a smoker, get a dedicated smoker.  What makes a smoker work well does not seem conducive to what makes a good grill.  What I mean is that one is designed to very accurately hold low temps over long period while producing aromatic smoke and the other is generally going to be used at temperatures double to triple smoking temps for very short periods.  I'm pretty excited by the prospect of the electric smoker and have read about and sampled great results.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VPI said:

When I upgrade I think it will be to a Yoder or one like Mike's.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-competition-cart.html

The Yoders and MAKs etc. are just a bit too oo-rah (in design terms). I think a Memphis is likely to garner higher WAF as part of an artfully California Eclectic patio arrangement.

WebSmallProPlus_Center.jpg.8508cb3fef72e0bcc3dbc9fc12e87283.jpg

Then just need a cashmere half-zip and huge honking rib of beef.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This topic was raised last night, and our guest mentioned one of his corporations subsidiaries that might have some items of interest on the grill side of things.

He was particularly proud of the counter-weighted hood, among other design features. let me know if you need any intro's.

http://outdoor.hestan.com/

"The unique design of Hestan Outdoor grills (shown above) catches your eye and the price tag—$5,000 and up—stops your heart"

He was also involved in the development of their smart cooking system, which might be of general interest

https://www.hestancue.com/

https://www.wired.com/brandlab/2017/04/hestan-cue-bringing-intelligent-cookware-to-life/

Last fall I started looking for a grill for the trailer.  Small enough for two, large enough for small groups/parties.  Finally settled on pellet smokers as a good alternative.  considering it would be used seasonally and occasionally, cost is an issue as well (utility value).  

The RecTec RT-300 (mini) was intriguing but pretty sure I'm going in to get a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone tomorrow.  Didn't care for the open slots for a smoke stack on the Mini and liked the wi-fi control and included meat probe on the Daniel Boone.   

If I were looking for the house I would probably have gotten a Memphis Elite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

Do not repeat this to the rainbow contingent, and I'll deny it if you do, but penises aren't really that attractive, are they?

They're really not.  They're supposed to be sheathed, anyway.  Well, half the time, anyway.

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

Butts dammit, I want butts!

You would like Yvette Young (a guitarist I'm fond of) -- she likes to draw butts.

GMG Daniel Boone wifi at the trailer.  Considering my legendary lack of mechanical skill, it was surprisingly easy to assemble.

Center cut pork chops last night seemed like any other grilled chops to me.  However, slow cooked hot dogs for my 3 yr old grandson today were surprisingly good.  Looking forward to NY Strip tonight (just for you Steve :) ) using the pellet stove as a more traditional grill.  As usual, late to the party but glad I got here.

• Like 4