Portable amp recommendation

gundam91

I've been out of the loop for a while. Got into headphones before my firstborn arrived. I thought my days of blasting music through speakers in late night listening sessions was over. But my kids sleeps through loud music. I have a portable setup consisting of Kowon iAudio X5 DAP + Shure SE530. I used to use the Etymotics ER-4S with an el cheapo Headroom amp.

I'm looking to get the iBasso DX200 or Pioneer XDP-300 DAP. Probably stick with the existing IEMs. What portable amp would you recommend? Nothing fancy. Budget up to $500 new or used.

My in-house system consists of a pair of Magico Q5 speakers powered by Pass X350.5. Primarily listening to vinyl. Music-wise, I listen to a wide range from Jazz, Claasical, 80s alternative rock to Asian pop music.

Not looking for top of the line, $$$$ stuff. Just something to get me through those times when you're stuck at an airport due to delays and I just need to close my eyes and mentally go somewhere else. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony NW-WM1Z + JH16 or go home -- nothing is going to sound as good as Magico+Pass system, I don't think.

I have the low budget equivalent, and listen daily for hours:  Sony Walkman, HeadAmp Pico Slim/Pico/Pico Power (alternating) + Etymotic entry level earbuds (below even the ER-4S -- yes, stick with those)/Sony MDR-Z7

4 hours ago, gundam91 said:

Thanks Dusty, really not looking to spend the $$$ on expensive gear for on the road. Not expecting it to perform the same as the Magicos, but just something that sound decent and will drive the ER-4S.

Well the second half was my more serious answer -- I seriously do love that Sony Walkman.  I also recently saw B&H Photo&Video put on sale one of the FiiO units (some of them have two slots! (cue sexual double entendres)), which I think are popular around these parts (hint:  try searching on 'fiio'), and I'd certainly feel comfortable with the Pioneer or the Onkyo devices.

I am also recommending you stick with the HeadAmp unit, as I don't think that is the weak link in your chain.  I think the only reason you may think it's an issue is because of what you're used to hearing.  By the way, mine is purple, so it doesn't contradict Steve's statement.

The serious answer is read this post:

I understand that. That's why I did not ask "what is the best amp". I am merely asking for brands (of amps) that I should pay attention to when browsing through hundreds & hundreds of threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk