stax t8000 clone (well sorta)

kevin gilmore

On 9/18/2018 at 2:38 AM, kevin gilmore said:

in theory with appropriate adapters or the right circuit board layout it would work. Lots more filament power. Lots more heat.

Thanks, Kevin

el156 filament current is 1.9A,  compared to el34 1.5A, increasing in filament heat/power seems to be acceptable to me...

I am very satisfied with the outcome of this build. Some background. I wanted to build an amplifier based on the T2 but simpler. There isn’t anything I’ve invented. I just copied and pasted pieces and ideas from Kevin, Kerry, Birgir et al - without asking for permission. Draw up a schematic this morning of the amplifier in the same “fashion” as DIY T2 by Kevin Gilmore. The amplifier doesn’t have R66, which is suggested by Kevin.

Be aware of errors since I did this in a rush.
schematic.thumb.jpg.de42e42af931ad31660856f6178a760c.jpg

As about the sound. I AM VERY HAPPY with her. But that’s maybe like asking me how much I love my four grandchildren.:)

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Have been listen to the new amplifier with EML 20B v4 tubes for a couple of days. Since 20B pinout  and heater voltage differs from EL34 I use adapters. Maybe it’s about time to make a board dedicated for the Emission Labs tubes. The tubes looks amazing and have printing on the glass. In this early stage layout the printing and the front of the tubes are facing the listener.

1570869072_eml20b.thumb.JPG.ce83a48d99af83cb7e8fceddd58a34d2.JPG
I found the big tube 3D model (300b) at grabcad.com, done by Andrew Whitham, United Kingdom.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

With JoaMat's blessing, Jose and I had the "mini T2" PCB fabricated for our use.These are proven boards - one working amp has been built. The right board has one error – one 1206 resistor got a 0805 pad but it’s possible to put the 1206 on it. 

The boards are 2mm thick, 2oz copper and right and left channel boards are mirrored (see pic.).  

There are a few remaining sets available, PM me if interested.

EDIT: Added schematic and BOM that JoaMat provided. The BOM uses thick film resistors, you may want to substitute with thin film resistors.

EDIT: Feb 22, 2019 - replaced schematic with corrected one

mini T2 PCB.JPG

BOM mini T2.xlsx

Schematic mini T2.PDF

Edited by mwl168
  • Like 4

I’m using a modified T2 power supply. +250V reduced to +220V. +/-500V and -560V are reduced to +/-400V and -460V. +/-12V increased to +/-15V. Filaments as original.

But the -400V is not used at all with this amplifier.

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 1

Well, I changed the voltages as said above on a T2 PSU that is a bit different from the original. I used those lower voltages for my T2 for some time before I built mini T2 and it worked great. So if you dare to lower the voltages on your T2 PSU and remove the 7812 and 7912 and put in  the https://www.amb.org/audio/sigma78_sigma79/ set to 15 volts. Then you have an universal PSU.:)

I haven't tried AMB sigma78/79 in T2 PSU but someone has to...???

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 1

Ajaj!  That -400V is something from earlier schematics I worked with and I obviously forgot to remove it. The -400 V potential is created by voltage divider R53 – 56. Otherwise the schematics are identical except for that components have different coordinates (I hope, crossing fingers).

Thanks for noting it, Steve.

• Like 1