stax t8000 clone (well sorta)

kevin gilmore

11 minutes ago, JoaMat said:

(I hope, crossing fingers).

Oops. Schematic posted above uses 2sa1486 in the current tunnel – my first boards had the 2sa1486.

Schematic in the link uses twin ksa1156 in the tunnel and the boards have the twin ksa1156. The boards Micheal and Jose have had made are created from the linked schematic.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

OK, time to bring this thread up on the first page. I think this is one of the most interesting threads after “The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!“ (alright, there are lots of interesting things on HeadCase). Here Kevin introduces GG, sandwich, DHT, T8000DR etc., etc..

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2018 at 11:44 AM, JoaMat said:

Have been listen to the new amplifier with EML 20B v4 tubes for a couple of days. Since 20B pinout  and heater voltage differs from EL34 I use adapters. Maybe it’s about time to make a board dedicated for the Emission Labs tubes. The tubes looks amazing and have printing on the glass. In this early stage layout the printing and the front of the tubes are facing the listener.

1570869072_eml20b.thumb.JPG.ce83a48d99af83cb7e8fceddd58a34d2.JPG
I found the big tube 3D model (300b) at grabcad.com, done by Andrew Whitham, United Kingdom.

Slow progress, but finally I have something. mini T2 with Emission Labs tubes.
Snapshot_22-02-17_23-53-40.thumb.jpg.c46de1666eb19cc54e5ddfb465eb647a.jpgSnapshot_22-02-17_23-52-53.thumb.jpg.d347b1f1fad9884493dc394ec0a0a9ff.jpg

It passed all tests in Proteus so it should work. If it blows up, :palm:  :palm:. That must not happen.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Happy Easter folks!

Three months ago I bought a pair of Russian 300B. Intention was to try them in an electrostatic amplifier.

Eventually I’ve put them in my DHT mini T2.

BZ8A0523.jpg

Only mono version but it works. There is some unwanted hum/noise. Maybe because 5VAC for filament. I’ve DC alternatives, so future will tell if that might solve the issue.

Anyhow, I’m enjoying the music (only left ear) and I still have some good stuff left.
IMG_1453.jpg

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 4