Corda Opera

As I said in the HF thread, I think your issue of roundedness might be due to using the high output impedance jack, which really isn't the best idea for either HD650's or (especially not) K701's.

I really think it has to have something to do with that, because you and I tend to hear things pretty similarly, and I'm not much a fan of a rounded sound.

Yea... what i really need to do is take a break from the Opera and come back to it so i won't have my first impression informing what I hear..... but my time with it is just about over. Daba will get it for Sunday and it's off on Monday.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

As I said in the HF thread, I think your issue of roundedness might be due to using the high output impedance jack, which really isn't the best idea for either HD650's or (especially not) K701's.

I really think it has to have something to do with that, because you and I tend to hear things pretty similarly, and I'm not much a fan of a rounded sound.

Hi I_D

I just found this site.... :dance: a bunch of familiar names.... what's everybody doing here and how come no one told me about it until today? :mikey2:

Anyway, I want to ask you why the high impedance jack isn't the best idea for 650s... I suppose it isn't good for 880s either? What was it designed for?

Anyone have a chance to compare the Opera to a GS-1?

That jack I believe gives and output impedance of 120 ohms. The damping factor is effected by the ratio of output impedance to input impedance of the headphone. The 120 ohm jack is for a time when I believe there was a standard output impedance of 120 ohms in professional equipment, and some headphones were therefore designed with characteristics to work optimally with this.

I don't know of any current headphones that are designed this way, and in general, you are looking for the lowest possible output impedance to give the highest damping factor - the bigger the difference between the output impedance and the input impedance is, the more control the amp has over the headphones. If the the output impedance is higher than the headphone impedance, the headphones are actually in a way controlling the amp - i.e. not good, unless somehow by a luck of synergy that makes them sound wonderful!

That jack I believe gives and output impedance of 120 ohms. The damping factor is effected by the ratio of output impedance to input impedance of the headphone. The 120 ohm jack is for a time when I believe there was a standard output impedance of 120 ohms in professional equipment, and some headphones were therefore designed with characteristics to work optimally with this.

I don't know of any current headphones that are designed this way, and in general, you are looking for the lowest possible output impedance to give the highest damping factor - the bigger the difference between the output impedance and the input impedance is, the more control the amp has over the headphones. If the the output impedance is higher than the headphone impedance, the headphones are actually in a way controlling the amp - i.e. not good, unless somehow by a luck of synergy that makes them sound wonderful!

T.Sloth

If that is the case, why include a High Z jack?

• 5 months later...

I feel like crying now...

I bought a K701 a few weeks ago and was told that I need a decent amp to power it, and guess what? I ordered a Corda Opera, which costs almost 4 times what I paid for the K701. I originally wanted to get a Heed CanAmp, but decided to spend more on an Opera. :(

How bad is it? Is it worth selling it off and getting another amp?

... and it's not like the heed gets any love there either.

Hey...I like my Heed! It's really one of the best little amps out there for under $400 (I paid $340 new), can drive the more difficult headphones like K340 easily, has a small footprint, and after Thrice tweaked it a little (changed the cord and threw blackgates in the power supply), it's sq to dollar value is about the best I've heard if you aren't a DIY person (yet). It's not the greatest amp, and is a little dark, but even if it's FOTM status has waned, don't be hating on the Heed. It's good.

I've yet to hear a Meier amp.

Hey...I like my Heed! It's really one of the best little amps out there for under $400 (I paid $340 new), can drive the more difficult headphones like K340 easily, has a small footprint, and after Thrice tweaked it a little (changed the cord and threw blackgates in the power supply), it's sq to dollar value is about the best I've heard if you aren't a DIY person (yet). It's not the greatest amp, and is a little dark, but even if it's FOTM status has waned, don't be hating on the Heed. It's good.

I've yet to hear a Meier amp.

Hi Boo

I'm sorry to have to disagree. Maybe Thrice's tweaks made all the difference in the world, but my experience with the heed was the opposite of yours. I found it to be an over priced, over hyped, mediocre amp, that was not in the same league as my Woo3 or my M^3. I got it right before this meet

standard.jpg

and sold it right after, to another NYer who quickly sold it as being only"10 days old."

IMHO the Heed was extremely disappointing.

Sorry

USG

I bought a K701 a few weeks ago and was told that I need a decent amp to power it, and guess what? I ordered a Corda Opera, which costs almost 4 times what I paid for the K701. I originally wanted to get a Heed CanAmp, but decided to spend more on an Opera. :(

I think you will need to hear it yourself and come to your own conclusions about what you are getting. Be patient and don't depend on others to define what you hear because that will get you even more confused.

Hi Boo

I'm sorry to have to disagree. Maybe Thrice's tweaks made all the difference in the world, but my experience with the heed was the opposite of yours. I found it to be an over priced, over hyped, mediocre amp, that was not in the same league as my Woo3 or my M^3. I got it right before this meet

and sold it right after, to another NYer who quickly sold it as being only"10 days old."

IMHO the Heed was extremely disappointing.

Sorry

USG

Disagree if you must. You may be right. I've not heard either the M^3 or Woo, but outside of DIY amps, which would be the way to go if you could, what other amps under $400 new can drive K340s as well as sound decent with a range of cans, especially if you're interested in the small footprint of solid state, which I am? I also think the Heed was over-hyped, but that's a separate issue. What headphones were you using? It's not great with 650s, that's for sure, but has done decently with most everything else I've tried.

@op, enjoy your opera. If there comes a time you might want to try out something different, you will.

Disagree if you must. You may be right. I've not heard either the M^3 or Woo, but outside of DIY amps, which would be the way to go if you could, what other amps under $400 new can drive K340s as well as sound decent with a range of cans, especially if you're interested in the small footprint of solid state, which I am? I also think the Heed was over-hyped, but that's a separate issue. What headphones were you using? It's not great with 650s, that's for sure, but has done decently with most everything else I've tried.

@op, enjoy your opera. If there comes a time you might want to try out something different, you will.

880s and 650s...

this is a difficult medium to converse in, but could you explain what you mean when you say it's not great with 650s?

USG

Well, while the Opera hasn't gotten rave reviews, the Heed hasn't really over here, either. I don't personally consider the Heed worth the cost, considering how banal the design is. I probably would have gotten a GS-1, DIY dynahi, or maybe a B22 instead (not sure what a 'three channel' b22 costs), but maybe things will work out or, if not, you can find a willing buyer. Perhaps you can substitute LMH6321 in for the BUF634; it tends to have a less dull sound to it.

Hmm, I guess I'll test it out when it arrives and see how I like it.

The HeadAmp GS-1 was one of the amps I was considering, but it has an 8-week waiting time plus probably another 2 weeks delivery to where I live.

Is it much better than the Opera though? If I don't like the Opera, I might order the GS-1 and sell the Opera later.