Corda Opera

The best thing to do would be to buy both and put your own ears to the test. Others' impressions are extremely helpful, but personally, I find that auditioning gear is the only way forward. As much as everyone is slamming the Opera and CanAmp, I'm sure they're perfectly fine-sounding amps. I had a short go with the CanAmp and it doesn't sound nearly as offensive as some of you guys described.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes some effort to make an amp that sounds outright offensive, although some succeed. Nowadays, it isn't very difficult to make amps since there are ICs available that do most of the work for you and a wide variety of designs published for public consumption. Really, the concern here is relative performance of course.

Shiki - K701 is the headphone I use for basically everything, as I'm rather fond of it. I personally like how it pairs with the GS-1 and GS-X, although that's with my other gear. I can imagine with some of the sources I've heard in head-fiers' stashes that it wouldn't be such a happy pairing.

It takes some effort to make an amp that sounds outright offensive, although some succeed. Nowadays, it isn't very difficult to make amps since there are ICs available that do most of the work for you and a wide variety of designs published for public consumption. Really, the concern here is relative performance of course.

Shiki - K701 is the headphone I use for basically everything, as I'm rather fond of it. I personally like how it pairs with the GS-1 and GS-X, although that's with my other gear. I can imagine with some of the sources I've heard in head-fiers' stashes that it wouldn't be such a happy pairing.

fyi. your 701 isn't exactly normal, most people need warmth with theirs.

I can understand having a unity gain setting for low-level listening, IEM's, etc. But why have a high gain setting that's only 2.5? I would have made it at least 5, so that the amp could drive K1000's.

RichterDi owns an Opera with high gain and he does indeed utilize it for his K1000s.I don't know if Jan Meier would do a high gain version for everyone but he did it for RichterDi on request.

880s and 650s...

this is a difficult medium to converse in, but could you explain what you mean when you say it's not great with 650s?

USG

I'm working from memory, since my 650s are visiting out-of-town at the moment and I haven't listened to that combo in about a year, but if memory serves, the 650s had a fat, heavy feel, especially in the bass.

I just received it today... Well, it certainly sounds better than running the K701 unamped. The problem is that I don't have any other amp to compare it too. It sounds decent though.

I'm using my PC as the source and I prefer the sound of the DAC on my sound card (E-MU 1212m) though.

I think I might just stick with this, until I save up enough for a balanced set-up.

I just received it today... Well, it certainly sounds better than running the K701 unamped. The problem is that I don't have any other amp to compare it too. It sounds decent though.

I'm using my PC as the source and I prefer the sound of the DAC on my sound card (E-MU 1212m) though.

I think I might just stick with this, until I save up enough for a balanced set-up.

I woudl take a long, hard look at the headroom balanced desktop, when you have time. Great amp for not so much money.

Go for a source upgrade first. Both the Opera's built-in DAC and the 1212m's DAC are not so good.

Try using the 1212m's digital out with an external DAC such as Lavry DA10 or Benchmark. It should be a significant sound quality increase.

There's a thread on Head-Fi (Clash of the titans: Benchmark DAC-1 vs. LaVry DA-10 vs. upgraded Zhalou DAC) that says the Benchmark isn't that good. Seems like the more research I do, the more confused I get. :P

Having said that, the Benchmark Balanced Desktop Package looks like good value as I've always wanted to try the HD650...

There's a thread on Head-Fi (Clash of the titans: Benchmark DAC-1 vs. LaVry DA-10 vs. upgraded Zhalou DAC) that says the Benchmark isn't that good. Seems like the more research I do, the more confused I get. :P

Having said that, the Benchmark Balanced Desktop Package looks like good value as I've always wanted to try the HD650...

Keep in mind that the individual who posted that comparison is a person who makes a business out of modding Zhaolu DACs (Ori).

Oops, I mean Headroom Balanced Desktop Package (the one with the maxed out amp + the HD650). Only thing is that at that price, I can get a Stax SR-303 set here.

Yikes. This is weird as the HA-2 MKII SE had no trouble driving the HD650, its odd that Jan took a step back with the Opera.

I personally think the Meier line has gotten less likable after he started the new line (starting with the Aria). The original Meier amps were decent amps despite being dry and somewhat lifeless, but it's gotten worse (now sounding powerless and shrill in certain cases).

What about the DAC in the Headroom Balanced Desktop? Is that any good?

Also, the Lavry and Benchmark both have XLR outputs. Are they sufficient, or do I need another balanced amp?

If you decide to go with the source first make sure that you go balanced output dac and both the Benchmark and Lavry fit that description as well as some others. This would get to further toward the balanced side if you finally decide to go that direction. CAudio has a balanced dac that would cost a little less if you wanted to look into it. I think it has a price of about 600$. I don't know if this comes with the dedicated PS or not. If not you still need it for best sound out of the CAudio unit and would put it at the price near the others. Another one is the Apogee miniDac for balanced output.

I have used the Lavry DA10 balanced output with a balanced AT and it did not seem to be adequate to power a balanced low impedance headphone. Knowing the synergy of a setup is very important.

There are many options and many ways to get there.