Function or signal generator?

Pars

Any recommendations for one, used and cheap preferably? (I know, non-HC).

I was looking at a couple of B&K 4011s or maybe an HP3311a? Other? Or am I better off using a PC with my mAudio box and a program (can't remember which one I have, but it isn't bad).

Depends on what your measurement requirements are. Do you need the square/triangle/sine capability of a function generator? Or is a low distortion sine more important (a function generator produces an approximate sine)? Manual set frequency and output level, or auto sweep (and hence linear or logarithmic sweep?). Then there are arbitrary waveform generators (AWG's) where you program them to produce any waveform you like.

Whether a stand-alone box, or a PC-based generator again depends on what you need it for.

Personally, I have a bit of a mix. For ppm level low distortion a Tek SG505. A Tek FG502 function generator. For high output an ancient HP 209A (see http://kenrockwell.com/audio/hp/209a.htm#perf ) and the workhorse is a Gould J3B.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 1

I guess I would like something just for audio testing (view on scope). Something that can do sine and square waves, sweep would also be useful. My thoughts revolve around testing stuff like the DynaFET for oscillation by running various frequencies thru it. Testing above 20kHz might be useful as well; don't think I can do that with the PC setup right now but hit sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An FG502 will do the lot, including sweep (you need to put a sweep signal up the VCF input). It goes from 0.1Hz to 11MHz, square, triangle, sine. http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/FG502 . Ebay has one 252934875917 for $25 with no bids yet.

To make it work, you need a TM5xx power frame, like the TM501 122498573980 currently $49.99 with no bids yet. Or a TM503 with three slots (so you have some expansion space for other units (eg the RG501 ramp generator to complement the VCF sweep of the FG502) 361964662469 for $40 with no bids yet.

• Like 1