Irish Whiskey Suggestions For 50th

Guss2

My buddy turns 50 on Saturday and he really likes Irish whiskey. He usually drinks Jameson and doesn't spend exorbitant amounts per bottle. I'd like to get him something really special that's going to make an impression and that he's going to remember. I know Jameson makes some higher end bottles like 12/18 Limited Reserve and Rarest Reserve, but honestly, I just don't know. Do any of the Irish whiskey aficionados here have any experience or suggestions for me in the $200-$300 range, even if it's not Jameson.

Edited by Guss2
  • Like 1

Jameson = Irish whiskey, not scotch. 

If you want to stick with Irish, Redbreast 21 year is absolutely fantastic and right at $300. 

If single malt, Macallan almost always does the trick. Rare Cask or 18 year would probably suffice in your price range.

Edited by Aura
  • Like 4

Oops, fixed that and thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm more confused now than I was 10 min ago, which is why I'm here I guess. If you don't mind me asking Aura, what is your preference? Type of whiskey, I mean.

Gary, if your buddy likes Jameson them it would be cool to get him a really pricey single bottle like the great suggestion from Bryan, or else a few bottles of Irish ranging from $50 to $100 a bottle so he could try more of them.

Redbreast 12 at $50
Redbreast 12 cask strength at $70
Green Spot at $70
Yellow Spot at $100

There's lots of other options but maybe that is a start. Mike Baker can certainly point you to the right shop...

• Like 4

Great advice Al, I'm actually leaning in this direction. Total Wine has every one of these, even the RB21($280). I'm thinking GS, YS, and RB15. That puts me right about what I'd pay for the RB21 and he'll be able to spread it around as he chooses. I appreciate all the help guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

For something really special, Glenfarclas do a Family Casks range, from which you can buy a bottle from the age of your birth. http://glenfarclas.com/whisky/the-family-casks/

They are probably way outside your price range (mine too), but worth dropping them a mail and finding out.

I'll check it out Craig, thanks. Bet these will be quite pricey indeed.

Just found a bottle online from his birth year, YIKES!!

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/38690/glenfarclas-1967-family-casks-cask-5113

Edited by Guss2

Yeesh. Last time I looked at this, maybe ten years ago, a 1956 bottle was around £700 - which was waaaay outside my price bracket. They seem to be even more outrageous now.

For a superb real-world Glenfarclas at very good price, have a look at Glenfarclas 105 cask strength. Gorgeous stuff. Around UKP50 a bottle.

1 hour ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Yeesh. Last time I looked at this, maybe ten years ago, a 1956 bottle was around £700 - which was waaaay outside my price bracket. They seem to be even more outrageous now.

For a superb real-world Glenfarclas at very good price, have a look at Glenfarclas 105 cask strength. Gorgeous stuff. Around UKP50 a bottle.

I'll be bringing my list with me tomorrow and the Glenfarclas 105 is on it.

23 minutes ago, Voltron said:

While I do have fond memories of killing a bottle of Farclas 105 on a camping trip years ago, I wanted to make sure Gary realizes that it is a Scotch whisky, not an Irish whiskey.

Yes I do Al, thank you. I've actually learned quite a bit in the last 24 hours talking with you guys, interesting for sure.

• Like 2

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I bumped into a buddy before the party at Total Wine and we collaborated. For general consumption we got Kavanagh, Tullamore Dew(white and green jug), and one other I can't remember. The TD was surprisingly smooth, I drank that all night. We also got the Yellow Spot, Jameson 18 year, and Redbreast 12 CS. The good thing is my buddy was able to take the good stuff home, so I'll get to try that next time I'm over. I'm officially an Irish Whiskey fan.

IMG_0852.JPG

• Like 5