Head-Case Darts

MexicanDragon

• 4 months later...

Started playing darts again. I've never been good at the game but have always enjoyed playing, with practice though I should get better than I am atm, which is why I've just got one of those boards in the photo, along with that protective surround and a rubber mat.

Should be receiving them in the next few days, then I'll set them up in my home so I can practice when I want.

IMG_3092.PNG.94d2826d960d38a78db1a55c0171a722.PNGIMG_3090.thumb.PNG.bf49bc8d0ace6234446fde364f322fc0.PNG

• Like 2

Started playing darts again. I've never been good at the game but have always enjoyed playing, with practice though I should get better than I am atm, which is why I've just got one of those boards in the photo, along with that protective surround and a rubber mat.
Should be receiving them in the next few days, then I'll set them up in my home so I can practice when I want.
IMG_3092.PNG.94d2826d960d38a78db1a55c0171a722.PNGIMG_3090.thumb.PNG.bf49bc8d0ace6234446fde364f322fc0.PNG

Nice!

I don't like the Unicorn stuff as much as the Winmau Blade 5 (I think it's due to me being colorblind and I perceive the red/green in a weird way,) but aesthetically, the number ring is my favorite in the game. You can also replace the numbers with different colored ones.

Which darts are you throwing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

As I mentioned, I've just started playing darts again after having a few years away from the game.

The last board I had at home was a Winmau which I was very happy with, but decided to get that Unicorn for a change.

The darts I have that I've had for sometime are Unicorn, 22g and barrel length around 50mm, but because I'm not throwing with much authority now, those darts sometimes fall out the board, so I might get some Gary Anderson 25 or 27g darts which look similar to those I have shown in the photos.

With that said I'm open to suggestions about different darts.

Here are my darts. ( Sorry about the not so clear photos ) 

IMG_3096.thumb.JPG.f70ce5b5d0d9a6d9a2c7d546246de17b.JPGIMG_3098.thumb.JPG.7cc36f61d4d9b83c5573f2e2e05d967f.JPGIMG_3099.thumb.JPG.8159532607047837a513e9e2868535c1.JPG

The flights look a bit flimsy, so I've ordered a few of that in the other photo.

IMG_3100.thumb.PNG.f39cc1ddae2011d854e38e7ff8c531f5.PNG

Edited by Dave R

Welcome back to the fold.

I'm newer to the hobby as well so I don't have a lot of good advice. I did go to the local shop and throw 12 different dart shape/weight combos before settling Yana weight forward, slight teardrop 25 gr dart.

Nice choice on the flight. Out of walls of flights that had to choose from at the shop, that is one of the two sets that I picked out as well, along with some dimpled Ruthless ones.

• Like 1

Received that Unicorn board, protective surround and mat, but have yet to secure the board to the wall where it's going.

It does seem a nice board, but the numbers are plastic and removable, whereas that Winmau I had had metal non movable numbers which I much preferred.

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1

Received that Unicorn board, protective surround and mat, but have yet to secure the board to the wall where it's going.
To does seem a nice board, but the numbers are plastic and removable, whereas that Winmau I had had metal non movable numbers which I much preferred.
Just do it the HC way and buy a Winmau Blade 5 DC with matching surround and set up side by side lanes for comparison.

45 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

Just do it the HC way and buy a Winmau Blade 5 DC with matching surround and set up side by side lanes for comparison.

Think I'll just see about getting an outer ring with secured metal numbers, then fix it to the board, for now though I'll use it as is.

In my teens I played darts a lot, we had a pretty nice board at home, no fancy brand that I can recall though, but a few good quality darts with natural feather flights. I always liked the heavier ones better. What's the difference between the Unicorn and the Winmau besides the plastic vs metal numbers? I could get either of them and retake the hobby now that I probably would have to stay away from music. I'd appreciate some good quality old fashioned darts recommendations. I hate this new trend of electronic harmless darts :( 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Torpedo said:

In my teens I played darts a lot, we had a pretty nice board at home, no fancy brand that I can recall though, but a few good quality darts with natural feather flights. I always liked the heavier ones better. What's the difference between the Unicorn and the Winmau besides the plastic vs metal numbers? I could get either of them and retake the hobby now that I probably would have to stay away from music. I'd appreciate some good quality old fashioned darts recommendations. I hate this new trend of electronic harmless darts :( 

1) Why would you have to stay away from music?
2) I think they're both going to be great boards, and they're each the official board of two major dart leagues (BDO/Winmau and PDC/Unicorn), but its seems like there was an issue with bounce outs and drop outs, but the Winmau Blade 5 is an improvement over the 4, which is already good, and it seems it caught up with the Unicorn on that front. Most of the good places around me have Blade 4s or 5s, so my thinking, if nothing else, was "go with what you'll be throwing on when you go out." The 5 has shallower angles on the blades as well, so if you hit the wire, there's a better chance of it going in vs bouncing out (relative to the Blade 4, and tons better than the wire-on-top-of-the-board kinds.)

I'd just get whichever of the two you like the look of best, and if you want to go Winmau, you can get the Blade 5 DC (Dual Core), because more letters + more cash is better, right? The Blade 5 also has a nice leveling system to secure it to the wall. Some of the cheaper boards will rotate some as you're pulling darts out. A small feature, but nice. The higher end Unicorns either have something similar, or have it as an option.

As far as darts, it's a very personal thing. Scroll through this thread and JP#s had some advice, along with my dart buying story from a few months back.

Looking forward to seeing what you get!

8 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

1) Why would you have to stay away from music?
2) I think they're both going to be great boards, and they're each the official board of two major dart leagues (BDO/Winmau and PDC/Unicorn), but its seems like there was an issue with bounce outs and drop outs, but the Winmau Blade 5 is an improvement over the 4, which is already good, and it seems it caught up with the Unicorn on that front. Most of the good places around me have Blade 4s or 5s, so my thinking, if nothing else, was "go with what you'll be throwing on when you go out." The 5 has shallower angles on the blades as well, so if you hit the wire, there's a better chance of it going in vs bouncing out (relative to the Blade 4, and tons better than the wire-on-top-of-the-board kinds.)

I'd just get whichever of the two you like the look of best, and if you want to go Winmau, you can get the Blade 5 DC (Dual Core), because more letters + more cash is better, right? The Blade 5 also has a nice leveling system to secure it to the wall. Some of the cheaper boards will rotate some as you're pulling darts out. A small feature, but nice. The higher end Unicorns either have something similar, or have it as an option.

As far as darts, it's a very personal thing. Scroll through this thread and JP#s had some advice, along with my dart buying story from a few months back.

Looking forward to seeing what you get!

I've got a hearing loss problem on my left ear and I'm not enjoying listening or playing music at all. This has been going on for a few weeks now and I've received the last bit of treatment yesterday, if it doesn't get any better I'd be selling a lot of stuff and thinking the best way to move on.

Thanks for the comments, Brent. I'll post here if I finally get the board and some darts to play a bit. I wish I had the room for a billiards (old fashioned 3 balls, no holes, cannon?) table, I really enjoyed playing billiards, I even had a cue :-

Sorry to hear about the hearing loss problem :( I had a temporary thing that impaired me for months, and slowly got back to ~normal. It was infuriating at the time. G'luck with it!

There are some solid, cheaper darts out there that aren't bad.

I"ve thrown some McCoys that I really liked. The Thrust in 25g is what I really liked, at least as a beginner, but different people take to different shapes. Great thing about those is that they're cheap enough to get a few different styles/weights and try them out, then you have darts for others to try as well, when you eventually start getting MVGs or Hammerheads.

7 hours ago, Dave R said:

Received those Harrows Retina flights, and also short titanium stems which are now on my Unicorn darts. They probably won't make me play better, but think they make my darts look cool. ?IMG_3126.thumb.PNG.90d21f6d8c56450fe89187162582361d.PNGIMG_3100.thumb.PNG.32532c48e7f967f598e4411bfd6e60ce.PNGIMG_3125.thumb.JPG.5e379f8db0a26ad2b92bf3875755005e.JPG

How much do they weigh now?

Oh, I asked the wife and a dartboard would be approved :D

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Torpedo said:

How much do they weigh now?

Oh, I asked the wife and a dartboard would be approved :D

25g.

The good thing about those titanium stems, is there are two sections, so if the top of a stem gets damaged by a dart or anything else, it can be replaced with another which screws into the other section.

Bet your wife will be throwing darts more than you when you have that board. ?

IMG_3127.thumb.JPG.7f1acb0d4310d5e8d1f0992ff640c0c2.JPGIMG_3132.thumb.PNG.ad849e4a40fdc5a77e5c46304993923a.PNG

Ah, just noticed these tops are aluminium.

IMG_3132.thumb.PNG.9e3247168dabbb708dbaf993ccf618bf.PNG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In true Headcase style, one of my current dilemmas... 

https://www.amazon.com/Shelti-Eye-Electronic-Dart-Board/dp/B00NMRLYA8?tag=gameroom-reviews-20

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-360-Galaxy-Home-Dartboard/dp/B01N0H3U67?tag=gameroom-reviews-20

Adding onto my house again this year, which will include a game room that will be somewhere in the region of 32' x 18' and will include regulation length tables for shuffleboard (22'), pool (9'), air hockey (8') and fussball. Darts as well, and thinking electronic is the way to go for the fun factor. Will probably include a regular dart board as well (one of the 2 Brent was looking at in his first post) for my own use but not for kids and drunk people.

Oh, and a urinal. No space for a bathroom in that room, but there will be one in the room immediately beneath it. So... might as well. 

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 1

In true Headcase style, one of my current dilemmas... 
https://www.amazon.com/Shelti-Eye-Electronic-Dart-Board/dp/B00NMRLYA8?tag=gameroom-reviews-20
https://www.amazon.com/Spider-360-Galaxy-Home-Dartboard/dp/B01N0H3U67?tag=gameroom-reviews-20

Adding onto my house again this year, which will include a game room that will be somewhere in the region of 32' x 18' and will include regulation length tables for shuffleboard (22'), pool (9'), air hockey (8') and fussball. Darts as well, and thinking electronic is the way to go for the fun factor. Will probably include a regular dart board as well (one of the 2 Brent was looking at in his first post) for my own use but not for kids and drunk people.

Oh, and a urinal. No space for a bathroom in that room, but there will be one in the room immediately beneath it. So... might as well. 

Perhaps one of these Japanese machines? They are pretty cool.

• Thanks 1