LG V20 - Anyone use this as a DAP (and a phone)

jp11801

We'll my iPhone 6plus is getting laggy and the 7 is a non-starter for me (no headphone jack). I am giving up hope that Apple will go back to a 3,5 mil hp jack so enter the LG V20. I am trying to strip down my smart phone and basically use the phone - dap- camera-maps-email function but get away from instagram/facebook blah blah blah. 

So anyone here use the LG, I know Peter was a pretty big supporter. I would likely use Neutron as a player and load a large micro sd. I tried to read the HF thread but at 170+ pages with 90/10 noise to signal I gave up.  

Well, as you eluded to, I've really enjoyed the V20 (and V10 for that matter). I've found the V20 to be the first phone that typically survives a full day for me without charging, and doesn't have any lag/freeze issues.  I think the DAC quality is quite good, better than the AK240, and almost but not quite to the level of the AK320/380.  The amp isn't quite as good, and partially that's due to their low/high impedance software auto-switching (i.e. have to hack to enable full amp performance with sub 50ohm headphones).  I don't mind using the bult-in amp, unhacked, with my JH Laylas, but if I'm going to listen for an extended period of time, like on a plane, I will hook up a Pico Slim.

I've been primarily using Hiby Music, as I prefer the interface to that of Neutron. I couldn't say that there is any noticeable sound quality difference.

Especially with this phone going for as little as $300 lately, I'd say it's a great deal. It's without question the best smartphone I have owned, and the audio quality is quite good for being the device that's always on hand.

I could go on about the cameras as well, also the best experience I've had with a smartphone, and being able to develop RAW files on the fly has gotten me shots I never would have though possible on a phone.

• Like 1

Peter had a nice summary.  I had one of the ill fated Samsung Notes that was prone to catching fire.  Replaced it with the v20.  Do not use any phone for a DAP other than an occasional movie.  No freezing/lag issues.  Holds large sd cards and manages data quite well.  Meets my needs.

I just got mine a couple weeks ago, haven't listened to music on it yet.  Will load up some music and report back, but my main PDAP reference point is Sony's entry level one from a couple years ago, and my hearing has gone to shit in the last couple years.  (I can't even tell the difference between Spotify -- lossy streaming -- and Tidal -- lossless -- any more.)

(following thread as well, since was not aware of software issues and unfortunately did not pay $300 for mine, but fortunately did not pay $800 neither...alright, I paid $400 at B&H, but at least it was for new)

6 hours ago, jp11801 said:

V20 ordered should have it early next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, well then you don't need my report, but I'll give it anyway -- it's good.  I wouldn't say it's as good as an external DAC/Amp, as I read elsewhere, but it's a good backup to my primary player.  I prefer the Sony, but it's still better than any other phone I've used.  Listened to Talk Talk's The Colour of Spring, Trio Italiano's rendition of Schurbert's 2nd piano trio, Kraftwerk's Computer World, and Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moved Sideways (all on Tidal hi-fi, downloaded for offline listening aka "cached").  It definitely benefited from the Pico Power, probably because I was using my Sony MDR-Z7, which are probably hard to drive.

But yeah, good choice, same one I would've -- and did -- made/make.

Dusty, thanks! For patio use I have the Mojo but I just got the Ety ER4SR and they absolutely sound way better out of the Mojo than my iPhone 6plus. Hoping this will be a nice step up from the iPhone even if it is potentially not as good as the Mojo.

Pisses me off that the quad day kicks in at 50 ohms or more and the Ety is 45.

• Like 1

Wait, what?  (wanders off to look up impedance of the Sony MDR-Z7 headphones...70 ohms)

I wonder what the input impedance of the Pico Power is.  I bet it's less than 50 ohms.  I wonder if that was the main difference in what I was hearing.  You know, I actually preferred it out of the Pico Power, which was probably line out.  So it might be alright with the Etys.

• 6 months later...
On 5.07.2017 at 2:12 AM, Dusty Chalk said:

I wouldn't say it's as good as an external DAC/Amp, as I read elsewhere, but it's a good backup to my primary player.  I prefer the Sony, but it's still better than any other phone I've used. 

Apologies for necro-threading, but yes, V20 really is nice.