AT&T unlimited choice plus plan

Voltron

We switched to the unlimited from the shared 30gb. With 5 phones on the plan and my son not having access to wifi at times we we're going over. It was $10 more for the unlimited so I figured we would try it out. It does get throttled at some point. Haven't had it long enough yet to know how it will work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm also on the original iPhone plan. Paid AT&T for 7 years while we were out of the country and my SIM sat in a drawer. Now need to add the kids and assume they won't let them piggyback onto that? So this may be my best option too. Looks like I get three bars of LTE at the new house, so want to stay on their network.

You definitely cannot add the kids to your original plan, Stretch. Alden has a Samsung but we can all be on the new unlimited plan. We're not huge data users to my understanding, but I still like never having to think about it at all.

Mike, there is a typo one way or the other -- you were or weren't going over on the 30gb plan?

So the Unlimited Choice has unlimited, but 22GB/line before it will then be throttled to "slow enough that you can't watch video or stream high-res music, but you might could stream some music" speeds. It looks like Unlimited Choice also slows even the first 22GB to a max of 3Mbps (possibly enough to stream Tidal decently.) It will technically be "unlimited" though, even after the 22GB. FWIW, 22GB is quite a bit on a phone, and I have to try to hit that. That's about what I use on an average month.

Unlimited Plus, however, gives you the same 22GB/line, but it's full speed (T-Mobile and Verizon tend to get 6-20Mbps around here, for comparison,) and it also gives you 10GB/line (I imagine this is included in the 22GB/line) of tethering/"WiFi Hotspot."

Al, how much data do you and yours use on each line at the moment? How much is the difference between Unlimited Choice and Unlimited Plus? Also, do you have TV through Direct TV or someone else? If you have DirectTV, there are some decent discounts you can work out with bundling it seems.

Also, Mike said they were going over the combined 30GB/mo.

Stretch, what are the details of your original iPhone plan?

**BRENT**

P.S. I agree with Dan, I don't trust them, but I hate AT&T.

• Like 1

Seriously.  I was initially disappointed when I had to go back to the 2G plan, and recently upgraded to the 5G plan with my iPad, and I rarely go up much over 2G.  3G one month, but that's because I had wireless off and forgot.  How on earth does anyone need 22G, much less 30G?

Streaming Tidal at work with no WiFi. Many companies don't have open WiFi for employees, or wifi at all.

**BRENT**
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MexicanDragon said:

Streaming Tidal at work with no WiFi. Many companies don't have open WiFi for employees, or wifi at all.

**BRENT**

I thought you have T Mobile with Binge On and rollover data. I have that and so never get anywhere near my limit. Does AT&T have something similar?

I thought you have T Mobile with Binge On and rollover data. I have that and so never get anywhere near my limit. Does AT&T have something similar?

I just said how people can hit this numbers. I've had unlimited for 11 years and don't worry about this, but other people have shitty carriers and it's an issue.

It's not rollover, because it's just unlimited, bit yeah, Tidal and Spotify and whatnot aren't included in the country for any eventual throttling.

I also have all my photos and videos backed up to Google Drive, and I just let it upload over data. So sometimes I'll have a gig or two video upload, bit that's rare.

**BRENT**

4 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

I don't have wifi for personal use at work, and I can't even use my work laptop to play music (not even foobar2000).  That's why I started carrying around the Sony PDAP with me.

You know you can cache stuff using Tidal on the app, right?  Depending on which subscription you have, I think.

37 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I don't have wifi for personal use at work, and I can't even use my work laptop to play music (not even foobar2000).  That's why I started carrying around the Sony PDAP with me.

You know you can cache stuff using Tidal on the app, right?  Depending on which subscription you have, I think.

I know most of what Tidal can do, and I take advantage of plenty, but most of my phone storage is used for pictures, and it's not expandable.

I use my HP X2 -> M-Stage HPA-2 Classic -> Pico Slim -> Dita The Answer IEMs... I use wifi from work or from the phone, if I really want to listen, and stream Masters, but I don't always listen to the same stuff, and sometimes I'll just have a craving for something, so I stream that. I keep the stuff I listen to over and over, but for casual listening, I'll just use my phone.

I have thought about having another DAP, but I just don't use this stuff enough to justify it anymore.

**BRENT**

Sprint had a plan a few weeks/months ago (not sure if they still have it going. I signed up in late February. Gave them my old ATT iphone and got an iphone 7 18 month lease for "free" (don't have any monthly payments). 1st line is $50, 2nd line is $40 (if you set up auto pay) + taxes. Lines 3, 4 and 5 are free until March, 2018. After which time I think they are $20 each or $30 each/month. Even with the jump, it is still less than what we were paying with ATT. There's no throttling that I have noticed. Between Julie and myself, we are going through ~70gb of data every month. Plus whatever the kids and my sister use (~40gb between the three of them). My sister is in school in San Francisco and has not noticed any coverage issues. I was there a few months ago and was perfectly fine. Only time it's been an issue is when we are driving through random sections of Alligator Alley but that's patchy service for any provider. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

I know most of what Tidal can do, and I take advantage of plenty, but most of my phone storage is used for pictures, and it's not expandable.

I use my HP X2 -> M-Stage HPA-2 Classic -> Pico Slim -> Dita The Answer IEMs... I use wifi from work or from the phone, if I really want to listen, and stream Masters, but I don't always listen to the same stuff, and sometimes I'll just have a craving for something, so I stream that. I keep the stuff I listen to over and over, but for casual listening, I'll just use my phone.

I have thought about having another DAP, but I just don't use this stuff enough to justify it anymore.

Okay.  Yeah, I guess I should stop pushing -- really, all I meant to do was, explain that once I went off the unlimited data plan, I developed conservative data usage habits, and they're fairly ingrained at this point.  Not everyone has to have the same listening habits as me.

I don't have an opinion on which carrier people should use, but if you're on a grandfathered plan, and they tell you "the new one is just as good", they mean "it's just as good, but it has a clause where we can change it, unlike the one apple forced us to give you years ago"

• Like 5

Yeah, I'm not necessarily saying to change either, but there are a lot of factors to look at.

Like Dusty, most people work within the constraints of the plan they have, even if it changes. I use 20-30 gigs, but that's just because I can. If I just had 22, I'd definitely change usage patterns.

I don't know the wording of the grandfathered plans, but they are probably fantastically unlimited, and if there's any chance that anyone ever comes close to using even 10GB or more, I'd weigh options harder.

**BRENT**

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...