Stax SRM-T8000

spritzer

8 hours ago, purk said:

Stax saw what Hifiman is doing to a highend headphones market, thus, they decide to do the same.  I really hope their new flagship will not be over 10K.

Purk, you forgot that Stax was Bought by Edifier....and Edifier is a China company...same as HifiMan.

12 hours ago, Whitigir said:

Purk, you forgot that Stax was Bought by Edifier....and Edifier is a China company...same as HifiMan.

i didn't not forget and not all Chinese companies are bad and greedy here.  I am just afraid that Stax will soon follow Hifiman's business model and start overcharging the consumer given Hifiman is getting away with it.  I don't think the new Stax flagship headphones will be priced under 6k.

There is no short supply of people with more money than sense. Some of these people cannot even tell when the left and right speakers are wired out of phase from each other. The only way they know to "judge" good gears from bad is by looking at price tags and reading BS reviews. Plenty of companies out there with little pride in their products know this well and are more than happy to exploit this phenomenon.   

Edited by mwl168
  • Like 2

Well as a manufacturer it makes more sense to target the luxury buyer rather than the enthusiast buyer, so specialty hobbies like this one have an incentive to become luxury hobbies over time. The luxury buyer doesn't always know what's good - though sometimes they do - but they're mainly after something that makes them feel special. Meanwhile, the enthusiast usually knows performance but often doesn't have deep pockets, so they're after value, and creating well-engineered, high-performance products that also offer a good value is not something everybody can do and certainly not something everybody wants to do. So if you want to make money, you tell the enthusiast "sorry" and then you leave them in the dust as prices get sky high.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 11:31 PM, purk said:

i didn't not forget and not all Chinese companies are bad and greedy here.  I am just afraid that Stax will soon follow Hifiman's business model and start overcharging the consumer given Hifiman is getting away with it.  I don't think the new Stax flagship headphones will be priced under 6k.

Not all are greedy, but seeing another one from the same origin does that, you just want to compete. 

it also seems that SR009 maybe the last greatest buy in price-performances from Stax :( .  Hope this is not the case

On 6 August 2017 at 5:31 AM, purk said:

I hope not. I heard the T-8000 at Can-Jam and it was a small step up from the 717 and 727 IMO, certainly not enough to justify the sudden price hike. Disappointed in it TBH after the earlier excitement. 

51 minutes ago, johnwmclean said:

Stax is mute on the subject and for obvious reasons.

Does Stax care, or even know much about aftermarket amps for its headphones? I gather that the bulk of its buyers live in Japan, where KG amps are vanishingly rare. I can't imagine Stax sells more than a few thousand systems a year, and the third party amp market can't be more than a fraction of that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gepardcv said:

Does Stax care, or even know much about aftermarket amps for its headphones? I gather that the bulk of its buyers live in Japan, where KG amps are vanishingly rare. I can't imagine Stax sells more than a few thousand systems a year, and the third party amp market can't be more than a fraction of that.

True. Who knows... 

15 hours ago, gepardcv said:

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if KG amps are vanishingly rare everywhere.  As you note, third party amps are a fraction of the Stax market (IIRC, BHSEs are up in the mid-200s), and DIY amps are probably a fraction of that.

Edited by JimL

Right. I tend to lump BHSEs in the KG amp category, and my casual impressions from forums suggest that most end up in the US, with a handful in Europe. Add to that the other vendors who made and sold a few stat amps over the years — maybe another 50-100 units? They surface routinely at various meetups. (Excluding exotics like the HEV90.) But I saw exactly 0 non-Stax amps on a trip to Japan, even at a well-stocked retailer where I thought I'd see at least something (e-earphone, which carries nearly the entire Stax product line).

Back to the T8000,  I half-expected a miniaturized, mostly-SMT mostly-solid-state T2. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/24/2017 at 1:46 AM, spritzer said:

They keep polishing that circuit.  Funny to see if move from SRM-1 Mk2 to SRM-3 to 313 to 323 etc... 

Where could I find some advice on the STAX hierachy of amps?

I'm looking for amps for an L700 and considering used SRM-1 Mk2, SRM-3, SRM-323S, SRM-252S... :)