Stax SRM-T8000

spritzer

Interesting, I thought it would be the other way around where big players got the preferential treatment from parts manufacturers. Plus the economic of scale where they could produce at lower cost than DIY builders. Maybe it will be offset later for dealers margin but still they should be able to produce something with the same performance level.

And while Birgir is here, hypothetically if one day Stax oyabuns have a change of heart and decides to put out true performance product, and they decide that the easiest way would be to use the existing DIY design like Carbons, how difficult it would be for the product to see the actual launch?

Although Stax bought thousands of semiconductors, its demand is not comparable to a real giants of the industry. It probably does not economically compensate to produce old sand only because a small manufacturer needs a few thousand devices.

I doubt that Stax adopts a circuit that has not been designed by themselves. I suppose it's a question of being proud.

They do manage large savings across the board by basically using the same chassis design for almost 40 years with minimal changes but they also really lag behind in modernizing how this stuff is built.  Now full SMD is tricky at these voltage levels but system integration and having less wiring will make a real difference to the assembly time for each unit. 

As for the circuits, they could build a variation of the Carbon but they have a real reluctance to use certain parts or for the amps to weigh too much.  Both would apply to the Carbon as it needs large heatsinks to function properly.  Now you could scale back the power but sort of defeats the point of all of this... 

• 2 weeks later...

As I've said before, I am surprised that they didn't make the T8000 an updated T1 by substituting constant current loads for the resistors - it's an easy and obvious switch that brings it up to current standards. They already have a constant current load circuit in their solid state designs, and it's not as if the T1 is a purely tube design that can't be "polluted" with solid state elements.

Edited by JimL

• 1 year later...

warning: check with ohmmeter to make sure the transformer is wired like all other stax transformers

for 100v   jumpers at J1,J3,J4     grey to white   green to brn  remove other jumpers

for 120v   jumpers at J2,J3,J5    grey to white   purple to blue remove other jumpers

for 220v   jumpers at  J5,J6        blue    gry to purple remove other jumpers

white ties to yellow thru fuse

white,green,purple is one winding 0,100v,120v

grey,brown.blue is other winding  0.100v.120v

Edited by kevin gilmore

• 2 years later...
On 11/6/2018 at 2:34 PM, spritzer said:

The T8000 reeks of desperation to me more than anything.  For them, there were no HV transistors left and no dual fet inputs so they needed to work around that.  They did it badly and it is in no way a high end amp. 

Have you experimented and figured out how to tweak it and un-fuck the sound?