The (Round) Football Thread

Hopstretch

• 8 months later...

3 hours ago, Torpedo said:

Brazil played uncoordinated. They're good football players individually, but they don't seem to build pressure and good goal chances. 

Argentina and Brazil performances were  disappointing. Maybe debut's anxiety? We'll find out soon.

15 hours ago, Torpedo said:

Brazil played uncoordinated. They're good football players individually, but they don't seem to build pressure and good goal chances. Did anyone watch how Germany lost? :palm:

TBH there was a fault on Switzerland goal. And a penalty in Gabriel Jesus that was not even reviewed by VAR. But Brazil´s performances was a disappointment and a disaster.  When our "best" player is more concerned about his hair then the game.... Mexico did a fantastic job. And Cristiano Ronaldo proved once again that he is wonderful and suffers way less anxiety than Messi, who is really not been able to endure the stress of carrying Argentina on his shoulders.

Please don't kill me Birgir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwUQdIBxjr4

I'd much rather see Iceland pull through rather than Argentina, Croatia is planning to rest their top players for the next round, so anything can happen, it could be close in the end.

^^^Exactly. Very happy that Der Manschaft were able to come back. I think Tony Kroos’ free kick was actually more impressive than Ronaldo’s since it was from a much more difficult angle. I am totally spent from that game. I don’t think I said who my pick was for winning the tournament, and this was my pick before it started, and that is ....

Belgium.

It was a great kick that of Kroos', he just got the necessary angle from the side kick from his pal. That's why he's so valuable to Real Madrid, he delivers when it's most needed. I've suffered a couple of such nail-biting games this season on the Champions League. It would have been easier for the rest of the aspirants having Germany back to home, but it's more fun with them in :)

• Like 1

I think both free kick goals were impressive for different reasons and both were taken under high pressure situations. Even amongst the great footballers, not many have the mental strength to take matters in their own hands and score.

I've watched it on ITV and the commentators said the placement was excellent for him and he has a very high chance. And after the matched they've looked at it again and observed that he made a little delay, waiting for the goalkeeper to move just slightly off-position, and that was enough not to have a chance of saving.

But the tension itself was just as thrilling. Sweden could have easily led 2-0 in the first half, there was a penalty not given as well. Kind of controversial about the video referee applications.

On the one hand, it would be more fair if it was more objectively used (better judgement and also less possibility to manipulate the result) but on the other hand, it would be more boring as well, so I'm curious how they are going to evolve further.

And the trolling towards Boateng, in the first half they've spoken about his enormous collection of shoes (about 650 pairs), and after the send-off somebody brought it in again and the other guy's response was: "Well, he must be in his slippers now" lol and another one from the Irish in the aftermath as well ?

• Like 2