Wood Speaker Stands?

recstar24

Thanks Steve - the sanus I've looked at but don't think the top plate is big enough for the stealths. The Art Deco is probably a little too po-mo for the wife. 

What do you think of the two options below I found?

http://www.gwizpro.com/stands/

https://www.etsy.com/listing/214838751/custom-speaker-stands?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wood speaker stand&ref=sr_gallery_1

the other option is to bite on some Skylan stands 

7 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

Before assembly:

il_fullxfull.802343383_nr5u.jpg

That's not a speaker stand, that's a speaker palanquin.

Not really, but the way the wood extruded from all sides made me think of a palanquin.  Actually, they kind of remind me of Lincoln Logs...does anyone else remember Lincoln Logs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dusty,

When my wife's grandmother passed away a year and a half ago, the family visited her house/farm afterwards and my father in law invited us to take a memento or two as they were going to sell the estate.  My kids grabbed an original box of lincoln logs, but this past weekend they finally opened them up and have been playing with them non-stop.  Such a cool toy, they don't build them like that anymore.

EDIT: the forum did a very weird auto-merge of posts which made it sound like someone that can't have a coherent focused conversation, so I'm inserting this edit to let everyone know I am a normal human being.

The etsy guy I linked to seems really cool, knowledgeable, very fairly priced for quality work, and communicates promptly and very well with all of my questions.  The Stealth's have a trapezoidal shape to them, in that the front width is slightly shorter than the back width, the whole non-parallel thing going on.  The builder is happy to and recommended cutting the top plate to match the speaker exactly, which I think would look cool, but that means for toe-in, you have to angle the whole stand, so visually it seems kind of askew with the TV furniture that is next to it.  Do I go ahead and do that, or do I just have him make the top plate a normal rectangle shape slightly larger than the speaker dimensions to toe in the speaker while keeping the speaker stands set up straight on and in-line with the rest of the furniture?

Edited by recstar24
  • Like 1

Absolutely cut to shape!  Don't worry about toeing the stands in, it'll look fine.  You don't want there to be any stand platform in front of the speaker drivers.  I prefer a little overhang, myself, but flush is fine, too.

PS  That's cool about the mementos.  

PPS  I've taken to typing, "Unrelated" when I anticipate such a merger.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Absolutely cut to shape!  Don't worry about toeing the stands in, it'll look fine.  You don't want there to be any stand platform in front of the speaker drivers.  I prefer a little overhang, myself, but flush is fine, too.

PS  That's cool about the mementos.  

PPS  I've taken to typing, "Unrelated" when I anticipate such a merger.

Dusty,

im definitely going with the top plate cut to shape, but am also thinking going with the bottom plate in the same shape just slightly larger, about an inch more on all sides. Does that seem like something that would actually look good?

below is the genera idea

IMG_0601.thumb.JPG.1362b81def2af0cc606c3146f3dcc96d.JPG

This is the general shape of the stealths, with the top plate flush no overhang and the bottom plate extending an inch out from the top plate specs  (picture is from a different site not the builder)

IMG_0600.JPG.7cf7e29b9f47e74a7fca3ee3115f3ed4.JPG

Edited by recstar24

Yes!  I have a thing about that kind of symmetry.  When my then brother-in-law built our deck for us 20 ish years ago, we had a funky little bump out on the house -- 3 sides of an octagon.  He matched the bump out in dimensions and angle for me.  (My ex still lives in that house and still has that deck, so I get to occasionally see it.)  It's very satisfying to see.

• Like 1