NAD Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifiers

shellylh

35 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Wait, what?!?  I thought was just a little fact, like a factlet.

Nope.  The "oid" at the back of the word denotes that it's pseudo. 

Shel, the NAD M2 is brilliant, so I can't imagine that even newer NAD digital amplifiers won't be as well.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

Agree with Reks.  I had heard the M2 and M3, and even though the C-series are a step lower, the sound quality is still pretty darn good IMO.  A lot of that proverbial tickle-down....

The only thing I might possibly worry about is parts quality and durability.  Haven't heard as much recently, but in years past the non-Master series (and heck, even some of the Master series) had some medium- to long-term QA issues.

But I'd still bet the new C-series are great.

"A brief or trivial item of news or information." says one source.  Another (Merriam-Webster), "a briefly stated and usually trivial fact."

Now, that said, I'll probably stop using it that way, myself, because it sounds like a factoid in the original sense.

Also, I love getting into arguments such as these even if on the losing side, because I still learn something.

Well, I got it from the horse's mouth in 1991 when we (Wharfedale) bought Cambridge Audio. NAD's founder Martin Borish was also involved at some point. He was trying to sell NAD and was putting out feelers for Wharfedale's potential interest, so I asked him what NAD stood for. In the end he sold NAD to a Danish outfit IIRC.

• Like 1

It's running Hypex uCD modules. They're not crappy receiver grade, but I'd use them for bass only, because up top I always find them too Class-D'ey. If you're still looking for a KEF LS50, I'd say skip the NAD and get the LS50 wireless version.

I found the LS50 to be rather picky amp wise. It needed a hearty 100W amp which could do low impedances with finesse.