HeadAmp Gilmore Lite mk2 Headphone Amp

nopants

Will the power switch be located at the front like the GSX ii or around the back? A front power switch would be great f or my little desktop space. A GS-1 mkII in Champagne is probably in my future. DACT attenuator would be icing on the cake.

I remember auditioning a GSX II years ago and really couldn't bond with it. Tried different DACs and headphones over a few days but just found it too aggressive and bright. I've been listening to the Gilmore Lite mkII for the last month and find it pretty much wonderful in every way. Since my understanding is that they should be nearly identical using the SE output it must simply be a change in my tastes over the last 7 years.

23 hours ago, JamesB797 said:

Been reading a lot around here and am trying to tie off loose ends with dynamic stuff before trying out stax. From what I've read, the gilmore lite mk2 seems likely to be close enough to "as fast and transparent as is currently possible" for the LCD3 and HD800S.

Would there be any technical reasons for an existing amp such as the pure bipolar or gsx mk2 to perform significantly better with those headphones?

More power, balanced output, better power supplies... I think you'll hear all kinds of improvement with a Pure BiPolar or GS-1 Mk2 or GS-X Mk2 in bass impact, separation and layering, maybe refinements in treble and more. I tied up my loose ends with dynamic stuff with a Pure BiPolar from spritzer.

As for the GS-1 Mk2, I hope to see one at November or Can Jam NY next year.

16 hours ago, Alaarx said:

Will the power switch be located at the front like the GSX ii or around the back? A front power switch would be great f or my little desktop space. A GS-1 mkII in Champagne is probably in my future. DACT attenuator would be icing on the cake.

We're getting very close - the power switch is on the front and a DACT is optional. Champagne will be a color option. This prototype has a blue bead blasted panel (compared to our usual polished blue). 

gs1mk2-front.jpg

gs1mk2-back.jpg

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 8:28 PM, slump said:

I just picked up a Gilmore Lite mk2 for use with HD600. This thing is ridiculous. Super smooth but with really snappy transients, while still retaining the clarity and resolution of my DAC. I would take it over Ragnarok, which I bought recently but returned due to QC issues.

I previously heard HD600 and HD800 on GSX mk2 and it was very dynamic and lively sounding but it seemed to spotlight the 4khz and 6khz issues of these headphone specifically.

In all honesty Gilmore could be endgame for dynamics for me but I’m also now intrigued to see what Justin can accomplish by revisiting the GS1...

Could you elaborate? What QC issues did you experience and in what areas do you prefer the Lite mk2? Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/8/2018 at 2:26 PM, justin said:

We're getting very close - the power switch is on the front and a DACT is optional. Champagne will be a color option. This prototype has a blue bead blasted panel (compared to our usual polished blue). 

gs1mk2-front.jpg

gs1mk2-back.jpg

We'll have a prototype of the new GS-X mini at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest next month!

dI7a2De.jpg

• Like 25

• 6 months later...

Got to try the GS-X Mini and the Gilmore Lite MKII with my Laylas at Axpona.  Very impressed with both with the little CIEMs, not sure I have any headphones to use with the big one anymore, but when Justin decides to make me a Lite in the blue color above, I will definitely add it to the desktop. ?

• Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 7:28 PM, slump said:

I just picked up a Gilmore Lite mk2 for use with HD600. This thing is ridiculous. Super smooth but with really snappy transients, while still retaining the clarity and resolution of my DAC. I would take it over Ragnarok, which I bought recently but returned due to QC issues.

I previously heard HD600 and HD800 on GSX mk2 and it was very dynamic and lively sounding but it seemed to spotlight the 4khz and 6khz issues of these headphone specifically.

In all honesty Gilmore could be endgame for dynamics for me but I’m also now intrigued to see what Justin can accomplish by revisiting the GS1...

I tried ragnarok but had a problem with it blowing fuses repeatedly. This was right after they came out with the rag. Finally returned it for money back.

Would be neat if Justin could build an R2R ladder dac to go with that mini. Balanced of course.

I wasn't really in listening mode yesterday at Axpona, but did listen to both an Aeon and an Ether 2 from the GS-X mini, and it sounded good. I still didn't care for the Aeon but liked the Ether 2, and the GS-X mini seemed to drive it really well.

• 5 weeks later...

You can make it better if you can find a Headroom DPS power supply to power the Lite MKII instead of the brick.

I spent about a week with the GSX mini and it was fantastic sounding with wide-range of different headphones.  

3981D0CA-AB2C-4E16-8147-6DC06CC374FD.jpeg

69DEFA37-0EF3-490B-B47A-6617520B8D6A.jpeg

5363A24E-AFDE-45B1-B5EF-06FBF442ED19.jpeg

Edited by purk
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Aura said:

^solid tip, @purk

i knew that a new DPS for the mk2 was on the roadmap, will most likely wait for that. but it's pretty cool that the headroom one can substitute.

I wouldn’t bother. The PSRR of the circuit itself is so high that I just don’t think it’s needed. You’d be better off using that money towards vinyl :)