Sony TA-ZH1ES

shellylh

I have one and really enjoy it.  What headphones do you plan on using with it?  It has a warm and inviting sound with beautiful soundstage but a little soft around the edge.  I also use mine at work.  It won't measure up to ECP DSHA-0 or 2 or Justin's  GSX-MKII but as an all-in-one solution...a very solid choice.  DSD is great on this.  You can buy a Sony NW-A35, load up some DSD albums, and output DSD via its WMport to the ZH1ES for native DSD playback.  Because of a Hybrid Class D design, digital input will yield the best sound quality.  You can also use it as a DAC but a DAC out section is an after thought for this amp.  Beautifully crafted with 5 years warranty from Sony.  It sounds better than the HDVD-800 driving the HD800.  

Edited by purk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, purk said:

I have one and really enjoy it.  What headphones do you plan on using with it?  It has a warm and inviting sound with beautiful soundstage but a little soft around the edge.  I also use mine at work.  It won't measure up to ECP DSHA-0 or 2 or Justin's  GSX-MKII but as an all-in-one solution...a very solid choice.  DSD is great on this.  You can buy a Sony NW-A35, load up some DSD albums, and output DSD via its WMport to the ZH1ES for native DSD playback.  Because of a Hybrid Class D design, digital input will yield the best sound quality.  You can also use it as a DAC but a DAC out section is an after thought for this amp.  Beautifully crafted with 5 years warranty from Sony.  It sounds better than the HDVD-800 driving the HD800.  

For your description I'm guessing its sound signature is reminiscing of the Luxman P-1, is it?

2 hours ago, shellylh said:

I plan to use HD650 and HD800 with it.  It sounds interesting but I think I'll see what Doug can do for me instead. 

I would go with the DSHA-2 Shelly.  It's a a great sounding amp requiring a very small foot print.  Still, u will need a DAC to go along with it.  As a hybrid digital amp, you will not need a DAC for the Sony.  Still a warmer tonal balanced may not work out great with the HD650 but is a great match with the HD800.  The Sony amp has enough power to drive any dynamic phones but not quite enough to bring out the best in HEK or hard to drive plannar.  The ZH1ES was within a striking distance to Doug's ECP DSHA-2 prototype when I had them side by side but the production DSHA-2 should widen that gap.  The bass on the ZH1ES is quite generous but the attack is a little soft.  I think Sony had intention of voicing this amp to be as warm and analog-like and I think they do have a very good product at the end of day.  A used ZH1ES can be found for as low as $1500 making a really goood deal for a one stop solution.

Edited by purk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Voltron said:

Doug could  make you the same little dac/amp combo that he made me...

DSHA-3 with a Walnut DAC?  I still wish I kept the DHSA-2 prototype and didn't use it as a trade for the Ravenswood.  That little  amp is fantastic for the size.

Another good choice is to wait for Justin's GS-1 MKII toward the beginning of next year.

Edited by purk