K1000 successor Mysphere?

Jon L

@mdr30 arranged for a prototype to pass by Gothenburg for evaluation a few months ago. Transient response was very good but the frequency voicing was quite off; at that time they claimed to have voiced it for vocals which translated into a big upper mid hump that made it difficult to listen to. Mid-bass was also lacking. They claimed they would address that right away; apparently we were not alone in giving this feedback... 

They do however give a whole new meaning to the concept of open headphones :) Very different, but in a good way. At HD-800 price levels, it would be a contender. At 4K, not so much I think.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MLA said:

@mdr30 arranged for a prototype to pass by Gothenburg for evaluation a few months ago. Transient response was very good but the frequency voicing was quite off; at that time they claimed to have voiced it for vocals which translated into a big upper mid hump that made it difficult to listen to. Mid-bass was also lacking. They claimed they would address that right away; apparently we were not alone in giving this feedback... 

They do however give a whole new meaning to the concept of open headphones :) Very different, but in a good way. At HD-800 price levels, it would be a contender. At 4K, not so much I think.

AGe0K.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering the original K1000's fetch from anywhere between $1900-3000USD nowadays on popular auction/audio sale sites I'd say it's not that big of a jump if one is selling to one to buy the new successor. It does look like a flimsy piece of shit though.

Edited by DefQon

6 hours ago, DefQon said:

Considering the original K1000's fetch from anywhere between $1900-3000USD nowadays on popular auction/audio sale sites I'd say it's not that big of a jump if one is selling to one to buy the new successor. It does look like a flimsy piece of shit though.

That was not their retail price, that some morons are willing to pay a premium for those pieces of arguable shit doesn't justify a half cooked headphone should cost 4K new.

• Like 2

That $4k trend is getting more and more serious. The product itself looks good, yet what you folks wrote here, damn....

Pretty low expectations for $4K, eh? And no, the product doesn't look very good. "Flimsy piece of shit" isn't an impression that I would associate with a good product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Just now, Pars said:

Pretty low expectations for $4K, eh? And no, the product doesn't look very good. "Flimsy piece of shit" isn't an impression that I would associate with a good product.

On the contrary, my expectations are high and having said that, top tier headphones are very overpriced.

What I wanted to say is that subjectively the product looks nice on the pictures, I enjoy this design. But only once on hand I could comment it in any additional way. For now I'll simply rely on feedback here and in other similar places ;) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

K1000 is $500-$1500, if somebody pays $3K for them congratulations. I bought a pair for the thrills but was pleasantly surprised of how well dynamic headphones can perform. In my collection they are between the SR-007 and SR-202. First non-electrostat I have heard that beat the SR-202 but not by much. My SR-202 + SRM-252II is still the best value hifi purchase that I have made at 300 .

• 4 weeks later...
On 2.11.2017 at 2:58 PM, Pars said:

On 27.10.2017 at 12:04 PM, penmarker said:

If you don't mind looking like a tool, a Sony PFR-V1 is cheaper.

sony-pfr-v1-personal-speakers.jpg

It is indeed, especially these days:lol: 

• 2 months later...

I actually had the luxury of playing with these for a couple of hours in a Head-Fi meet and a couple months later at CanJam Europe where he brought different impedance versions.

They actually do sound really good compared them to HD800S, Focal Utopia and the old K1000.

Very very fast and I was looking forward to them. But that price shocked me a little.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have fond memories of the old K1000, but I remember when Headroom couldn't sell them at MSRP, and was blowing them out for $500 a pair or so.  The market for expensive headphones has grown since then, undoubtedly, but I don't think they stand a chance at $4000.  It feels like a transparent cash grab, not a real product.