Beyerdynamic DT1770

Dusty Chalk

I have heard the DT1770 and to me, it was so bright that it was actively painful and I could not listen for longer than ~10 seconds.

Just so there's a not that i'm not extremely treble sensitive, I don't have much of a problem with other bright/peaky headphones (such as DT770/880/990, HD700, HD800, etc)

1 hour ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Not sure how Beyerdynamic managed to swing the term Tesla Technology for their headphone drivers past Elon Musk. I can't imagine that a discussion did not take place!

The T51P, much cheaper than the DT1770 has the same driver technology.

But does it isolate as well?  The DT770 is one of the most isolating headphones I know, and that's another reason for my interest. 

(wanders off to research the T51P)

• Like 1

The Senn HD250 pro had about 32dB isolation.

"HD 280 PRO

These rugged, comfortable headphones are designed for professional monitoring applications. Features include single-sided coiled cable, rotating ear cups and up to 32 dB noise attenuation."

I had a 280Pro about 12 years ago. Piece of junk. It’s brutally uncomfortable, painful everywhere it touches after 15min of use. It also causes listening fatigue within 30min if you can sit through the pain — probably hot treble, but I blocked it out of my mind. To add insult to injury, the cheap plastic where the cups connect to the headband will snap and break within the first month, as it can’t survive the strain of being put on and taken off the wearer’s head. 

• Like 2

Funny that....

I have owned a pair of these, and know of others who own them, and have never heard from any of them with problems with the HD280 pro.

I have read on different forums that they were fragile and sounded like cardboard, but have also heard of many other headphones which were destroyed by neanderthal owners.

How many HD600/HD650 headphones had their headbands broken?

What about the SR-007 with a ding in the cup.

It seems that the cheaper 'phones are treated like dirt whereas the more expensive are likely to be more mollycoddled.

Since you used to be able to buy a HD280 pro for much less than $100 it certainly lends to them to be abused and neglected as well being employed as toys for your recalcitrant pets and feral kids.....:D   

Edited by wink
  • Like 2

Did you have the new one or the old one?  I presume since you've had it a while, and since they are referred to as "new" and "old" on Amazon, that you had the "old style".

Old:

413Yea41ZBL.jpg

New:

71spsAAAcaL._SL1500_.jpg

Regarding indestructibility, the DT770s are, indeed, built like tanks.  I've abused the snot out of them, and they've never broken.  I think that's one of the things that makes them a studio staple.

The HD600s, if I recall correctly, have a metal strip through the band, so are therefore that little bit less prone to being broken.

The Sony MDR-V6/-7506 needed to be treated a little better (that either of the above), because they had so many joints so they could be folded together, but I think most people know that and therefore treat them with a little more respect.

I think it's a fair question to ask how sturdy it is, although I'm not going to base my opinion on one data point.

So since you own one, what sort of power demands does it require?  I know the HD600s scale like mad -- the better you feed them, the better they sound -- and the above-mentioned Sony headphones hardly scale at all -- they sound pretty much the same no matter what you feed them, unless the amp can't handle lower impedance phones.

And how would you characterize it?  Is it a studio headphone, "accurate", or a home high-fi phone, "euphonic-ish".  Bass-heavy?  Scooped?  Bright?  Veiled?  etc.  I looked at the frequency response, but I prefer subjective impressions.

The DT770 are notoriously bass-heavy headphones, but with sufficient power, it can be controlled and deep.  It does have a slight etch to it which I at one time got used to because I listened on the Creek OBH-11SE, a FET-based headphone amp, and later on tubes, and both those amps helped ameliorate the etch.

I’ve had my 650 for over 10 years and have never had a problem. On the other hand the headband 280 pro broke after a year and I treat everything I own with care. In addition, my head is much smaller than the average headphone wearer. Plus, they were so so uncomfortable whereas the 650 and 600 are one of the most comfortable pairs of headphones ever made in my opinion. Not to mention, the 280 pro sound like crap. So I completely agree with Dusty.

I am actually somewhat interested in the DT1770 to use in the office. I would love to have a closed pair of headphones that sound decent, isolate, and are comfortable. The DT 770 are one of the most comfortable pair of headphones I ever owned and isolated like crazy but were way too dark/muddy sounding. So far, I have just heard people complain about the DT1770 being too bright which is probably a good sign.

• Like 2

From long-term memory: the 280 is that lovely combo of hot treble and boomy bass that makes everything sound like a wood screw to the eardrums. I used it with a 2nd-gen iPod at the office (didn’t have fancy amps at the time), so it may improve with moar power (but I doubt it). It lived on my desk and I treated it well — the piece which snapped was the plastic extension on the inside of the headband next to the ear cup. It could not withstand the strain all headphones endure in that spot when you hold the cups apart while putting the unit on your head. 

• Like 1

I find all these reports of the HD250 very interesting.

Firstly, as far as I can remember all the ones I have had were the older version.

Seondly, the HD600/HD650 with new pads were definitely tighter on my scone than the HD280.

Thirdly, I have bought and given away all my HD280's to friends who wanted a 'phone with good isolation but didn't want noise cancelling.

The first HD280 was bought for US$70 brand new and sounded like cardboard until they were used for over 20 hours.

Then other 4 were a mix of new and used units and pretty well sounded the same as a good run-in set from the get-go.

They were IME pretty good sounding phones for mixing desks.

In fact, going from memory, they sounded better than the AKG K240SS I heard at a meet on Saturday.

I also once bought a HD380 which was extremely coloured, and a real disappointment, It would probably suited a person who wanted to upgrade from the original Beats to something a bit better without the woeful doof doof bass.

Hope this helps....

• Like 1

My experience ties with Wink's, both with 280 and 380.  I was lucky to grab a used pair of 280's, where the seller's dad had put on a basic Canare cable via a 3-pin XLR jack (pretty pro job, looked like the connector always belonged on the cup).  More comfortable, less grating highs, and some great isolation for someone who doesn't do so well with IEM's.

And then the 380 came in and sucked the royal one.  Thankfully I hung on to the 280's until about 2 years ago.

• Like 1

The great thing with Beyerdynamic is their legendary stock of spare bits and after sales support. I have a pair of DT990's that I bought many decades ago. Now they still make the DT990 in various guises, but they have been through umpteen design changes in the meantime. Now my venerable DT990 had shot earpads, the soft bit of the headband was shot, and I'd stood on them at some point and the cup pivot plastic bits were split.

Beyer had absolutely no problem in sending me (well - selling me) all the bits needed to get them back into as-new condition. I was well impressed!

• Like 1