Is this a good deal?

Ken, Cyber Monday deal on an XPS 13. 128GB SSD, but everything else is great, and it's one of the best built machines on the market.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/dell-xps-13-xps-9360-laptop-pc/8q17384grz37/GV5D?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=nOD/rLJHOac&ranSiteID=nOD_rLJHOac-vezG5S1ecs_TcDleh0lU7Q&tduid=(d83560f0192e176e4b4ad27a89c78459)(256380)(2459594)(nOD_rLJHOac-vezG5S1ecs_TcDleh0lU7Q)()&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Sorry to pigpile but it seemed too much to start a new thread - any decent Chromebook deals today?  I need something for Lily to use for homework and they use CBs at school all day and I'm hoping they're a little less than the Macbook that I'd like to buy her.

Good MacBook deal today on a budget option [emoji6]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Apple-13-3-MacBook-Air-Mid-2017-MQD32LL-A/202117468662?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?pub=5574652453&afepn=5335869999&icep_id=117&ipn=icep&type=4&campid=5338189312&toolid=10001&customid=ce0b3f54d36711e79ef9728b6ce44b6a0INT&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F202117468662&srcrot=711-53200-19255-0&rvr_id=1376575906640&_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true&epid=238226387

Some Lenovo refurbs on Tiger Direct.  Intel Celeron Chrome book for $100, AMD E300 Win10 machine for $120......1 year warranties.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5572149&sku=40625695

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6042568&sku=40808298

1 hour ago, guzziguy said:

I discovered this morning that my furnace is not working.  Any computer purchase is oh hold until I see how much this will cost to fix. :nate:

I got off easy.  It was a bad igniter and the repair only cost $150.

I've been thinking and maybe what I should do is replace the 1T HDD in my laptop with a 256GB SSD.  Any comments about this idea?  Do you have recommendations for SSD brands and models?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that I put either a Crucial or Samsung in my laptop when I did something similar, Ken, and it's been great.  Yup, just checked, Crucial M500.  I'd say it gave me another couple of years of useful life but that was with a way over-spec'd gaming laptop that is still powerful enough to do just about anything but is suffering other hardware failures (fans at the very least).  It's 8 years old and due for replacing, as soon as 9,000 other things get bought and paid for. 

I've put SSD's, even the cheaper ones I could find (Crucial, PNY & non-current-gen Kingston a few times), in about 8 different machines over the last 3+ years, and like Nate said, they've increased the useful life for 1-2 more years easily.  I have then gone and sold all but 2 of them (still using one, a Xeon workstation that is equivalent to a core i7 2nd gen; and just upgraded the other - a Celeron-based micro desktop - to an SSD and loaded Win10 on it, will sell soon).

As for SSD's, the various Samsung EVO lines get pretty good praise, and I've used them I think 3 times.  Should be able to find some great sales now.

Edited by skullguise

12 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

Ken - I probably have an old SSD laying around so you can try it for speed. If I do, it is yours.

Thanks, Doug.  I'd love to give it a try.  Now I have to start google'ing for instructions to do the upgrade.

Edit:

I have an ASUS X550ZA.  Crucial's compatibility tool recommends this:

Edited by guzziguy

I have an Intel 320 series 160G, and an Intel 520 series 120G. The 256g crucial I have is toast. The 320 is technically slower at 3Gb/s (520 is 6Gb/s), but you probably can't take advantage of the 6G sata speed in an old computer so I'd probably go for the extra size. PM your address and I'll make sure it is working and drop it in the mail.

Both are 7mm with a 2.5mm spacer.

edit: I might also have a 500G crucial M500 - if I do, I'll send it instead.

Edited by dsavitsk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive this thread.  I'm finally getting around to installing the SSD that I have.  There are lots of disk cloning software out there.  I quickly see 4:

1.  Macrium Reflect
2.  EaseUS Todo Backup
3.  Paragon Migrate OS to SSD (seems to be related to EaseUS)
4.  Samsung Data Migration (only works with Samsung SSD?)

Would anybody care to comment or recommend cloning software?

Agree with Nate.  The SSD will give good improvements, but always good to start clean.  Barring that....I've used Macrium several times now, no real issues.  I seem to recall on an earlier version having to work around different partition sizes source to target, but also DON'T recall that as an issue recently....

I always just use Carbon Copy Cloner on a Mac, but yeah, a fresh install, particularly on a Windows machine that likes to eat its registry, is always a good idea.

I just kind of inherited a 2010 iMac from my boss (technically my boss' boss). He had asked me to help him install a new HDD into this. When I wasn't looking, he kind of ripped that fucked up LVDS video cable off the motherboard. Once we a) figured how it was supposed to go back together and 'b) got it put back together, the first time up the video came on, but with no OS, the ? screen. After turning it on/off a couple of times, no video. He then took it to the "geniuses" who told him the logic board was bad. I told him I'd take it home after pulling the new HDD for him to return.

New video cable ($15) and working computer, other than it needs a drive. I had a 2T WD Green EARS drive which I seemed to recall I quit using for backup because I didn't trust it. Formatted and tossed that in (after booting from the new SSD I got for my mini). Just needs a keyboard and mouse (and a different drive as that WD is SLOWWWWW).

5 hours ago, skullguise said:

Agree with Nate.  The SSD will give good improvements, but always good to start clean.  Barring that....I've used Macrium several times now, no real issues.  I seem to recall on an earlier version having to work around different partition sizes source to target, but also DON'T recall that as an issue recently....

Any problem in installing a recent system copy from Time Machine?